• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas leak @ fuel pump wires.

JEONLYEP

NAXJA Forum User
I have a gas leak at the location where the fuel pump wires go through the fuel pump mounting plate in the tank. I am sure it's not the o-ring for the fuel pump. But coming from around the plastic housing where the wires go through on the plate that holds the fuel pump. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Daryl

Not sure what to say here,other than I wouldn't drive it until I fixed the leak.
Check clamps and hoses,maybe one of the clamps is loose or the hoses are cracked and brittle.

JEONLYEP said:
I have a gas leak at the location where the fuel pump wires go through the fuel pump mounting plate in the tank. I am sure it's not the o-ring for the fuel pump. But coming from around the plastic housing where the wires go through on the plate that holds the fuel pump. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Daryl
The wires going thru the plate is a hard plastic "plug" that has an o-ring on the back side of it. It's not a plug, just looks like one. I tried to un-plug it when I replaced my fuel pump and kinda messed it up. There is a push on clip on the back side of the plate that holds it in place and the o-ring seals it. If it's messed up, good luck, I had to replace the entire assembly because I couldn't get it to stop leaking.
Mike Harris

The assembly you are referring to is called a sender unit.

Step #1) Call your local Jeep dealership and ask them how much it costs(somewhere around $235).
Step #2) Say YIKES!
Step #3) Find a pull-it-yourself junk yard and pick one up for $10bucks or less.
Step #4) Install
Step #5) Send me the $200 bucks that you saved :D

Definitely at the plastic plug. I put a new o-ring and a new push on clip washer and that worked for about six months. I guess that since I am a plumber that I should be as able as anyone to find something that will work. I was hoping that someone else had already done the leg work of finding a different way of sealing those wires.

Thanks again

Daryl

Last edited:
I've been having tons of problems w/ my fuel pump o-ring. My fuel pump o-ring has been leaking for about 8 months now. I've tried about 5 different o-rings and none of them work. My fuel pump actually died about a week ago. So I dropped the whole tank only to find out that the factory o-ring actually wore a grove in the tank. This was the reason all the new o-rings were not working. I had no choice but to put the tank back up until I can order a new one. This post may not be helpful, but just letting you know your not alone. Good Luck.

June

June said:
I've been having tons of problems w/ my fuel pump o-ring. ~~~~just letting you know your not alone. Good Luck.

June

Thanks June. And my post might not be much help to you either. But have you tried a new clamping ring that holds the fuel pump in place? As I was searching to see if anyone else has had the leak at the wires, I found this Quote.

"Ron Hyslop
Jeeper Join Date: Apr 2003
Re: Gas tank leaking all of a sudden

After I replaced my the fuel pump, I had a big time leak. Turned out the clamping ring that holds the fuel pump and tubing assembly in the tank was rusted pretty bad, and when tapped in to place, did not compress the big 0 ring seal enough to make a seal. Got a new clamping ring for about $5 from a dealer and that solved it."

I'm not saying there isn't a groove in your tank, but maybe a new clamp ring will push a new o-ring tighter into said groove. Just a thought.

Thanks again.
Daryl

Last edited:
JEONLYEP said:
Thanks June. And my post might not be much help to you either. But have you tried a new clamping ring that holds the fuel pump in place? As I was searching to see if anyone else has had the leak at the wires, I found this Quote.

"Ron Hyslop
Jeeper Join Date: Apr 2003
Re: Gas tank leaking all of a sudden

After I replaced my the fuel pump, I had a big time leak. Turned out the clamping ring that holds the fuel pump and tubing assembly in the tank was rusted pretty bad, and when tapped in to place, did not compress the big 0 ring seal enough to make a seal. Got a new clamping ring for about $5 from a dealer and that solved it."

I'm not saying there isn't a groove in your tank, but maybe a new clamp ring will push a new o-ring tighter into said groove. Just a thought.

Thanks again.
Daryl

Hell, it's worth a shot. Thanks for the heads up. I had previously bought a new ring with one of those Help kits at PepBoys but the ring was really cheap. I'll have to stop by the dealer this week and get one ordered. Thanks.

June

Back