• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Tire Carrier

xjndmud

NAXJA Forum User
Can someone please post some pics of their rear tire carries, im tryin to get some ideas for my XJ, Thanks Zig NAXJA

fd907528.jpg.orig.jpg

fd907543.jpg.orig.jpg

Okay, if the image isn't working, copy and paste the url, that should work to see the image. Time for a new photo host.

SyCo said:
fatwreck:
Wow, I like that. Any ideas when they're going to be mass produced and the price range? Thanks

Sorry for the bad link to their site. Here's another one:
http://www.bpifab.com/bumper/cherokee_rear.htm

They are ready for mass production now. Email Tim at [email protected] with any questions.

The price is going to be $772 with the powder coating. I hear that their shipping prices aren't too bad though....which may offset some of the cost.

Hunter-Lynchburg said:
here is a link to my webshots account...the tire carrier album is second from the bottom. i used a rockstomper hinge and a 2,000lbs Carr-Lane latch. everything works great, but im going to ditch the whole set up to make a new bumper w/o a tire carrier on it.

Hunter

where's the link? i can't find it!

ACE...
what kind of hinge did you use? i need a face mount hinge to mount a custom carrier on my c4x4 bumper.
thanks, matthew

Zig good to see you finally here!!!!

Hey guys meet this guy a couple weeks ago! Nic rig too! Help him out so he can be the ginny pig for me! LOL! :)

Hunter-Lynchburg said:
here is a link to my webshots account...the tire carrier album is second from the bottom. i used a rockstomper hinge and a 2,000lbs Carr-Lane latch. everything works great, but im going to ditch the whole set up to make a new bumper w/o a tire carrier on it.

Hunter

Link? Man Hunter, your still a loser. :rolleyes: :D

ACE...
what kind of hinge did you use? i need a face mount hinge to mount a custom carrier on my c4x4 bumper.
thanks, matthew

Damn, I could have sworn there was text with my post. Right now it's basically just a bolt through the bracket and arm, in fact it is the bolt and screw down plastic thing that held the spare in the original location. It is temporary until I figure out a good latch system.

Damn, I could have sworn there was text with my post. Right now it's basically just a bolt through the bracket and arm, in fact it is the bolt and screw down plastic thing that held the spare in the original location. It is temporary until I figure out a good latch system. [/B]

HINGE info please, please, please. i need a hinge that will face mount to an aftermarket bumper. one like this that doesn't cost $100 and you have to order 15 at a time.

http://www.antech.com/Guardian/Hinges/2003_Hinge.html

2003-1c.jpg

thanks, matthew

I wish I'd taken a picture of the hinge but I'll try and explain it. I found some bearings at Lowe's in the bin section that are similar to the bearings you find on bike wheels. I bought two for about a buck or so each and they have a .5" hole to pass a bolt through. I had a piece of 1" ID pipe that I cut down to 3" in length and pressed a bearing into each end. I welded the pipe to the 2"x3" channel I was using for the tire carrier and voila! I then just welded a bracket to the bumper, drilled a hole in each end, passed a .5" bolt through the top of the bracket, through the bearings assembly and through the bottom bracket. Used some greased up copper washers on each end and tightened it down. It looks like that picture you posted except it doesn't have a zerk fitting on it. Cost was about four bucks. I actually like my hinge. If I get a chance, I'll try and get a picture. Good luck.

"Is that the good 'ol plastic donut wingnut I see in use in a better place! HAHA"

Hey, no laughing! It's temporary!

:)

I believe the protofab unit is the best thought out of all the units....and being several hundred dollars cheaper dont hurt none.....its available with undercarriage extensions now and reciever hitch.....

Back