• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Adj CAs are done. Wuddya think?

OT

NAXJA Forum User
Well, I did 'em up the other night and here they are. I know the welds look just great but I think they'll work for a 99% trail, non-fashion show application. They're REs for a 3" lift, cut with 1.5" all-thread and nuts added. Welded with a non-gas wire fed (hope it's strong enough). There is a rosette weld on either side of the end with the rubber. They're so strong I can't bend them by hand. And now the brutal truth, lay it on me.

fa1f5191.jpg

fa1f518e.jpg

fa1f5184.jpg

Looks okay to me. Would've used a finer thread stock.
What's with the crappy beer though? :huh:
And those scary UCA's?
Dan.
:D

TRNDRVR said:
Looks okay to me. Would've used a finer thread stock.
What's with the crappy beer though? :huh:
And those scary UCA's?
Dan.
:D
Well, for your information, that beer is $22.00 a case. It's a German beer called Bitburger and I got addicted to it when I was stationed there. And as for the UCAs, They were free. They're from a Skyjacker lift. So nyeeah! Oh yeah, thanks for the vote of confidence.

They look fine to me, I second the finer thread comment and I recommend you paint them Rollover Red to match the uppers!

Why finer threads? I used the coarse thread because it was given to me. These'll do for the trail dontcha think? And I was just gonna shot all the CAs black so I don't distract anybody.

A finer thread wont loosen as easy when smacked on a rock. They will probably work fine, but you dont want them to come loose & act as the pivot point of the arm. Although some say this is no big deal, my opinion is that it'll wear the threads & your nuts and may lead to premature evacuation.

(Sorry couldn't help it.)

Premature evacuation huh? I just want them to last till I go with bigger axles when I'll switch to a radius arm setup.

rockcrawlinxj said:
Why finer threads? I used the coarse thread because it was given to me. These'll do for the trail dontcha think? And I was just gonna shot all the CAs black so I don't distract anybody.
Shooting from the hips here;
There's only one way to make an adjustment on a control arm, and that's one turn at a time. The finer the thread, the finer the adjustment. Not saying this is the case, but say you only need to move your control arm maybe a 1/16th of an inch to dial in your front end and with your coarse thread you get a 1/4 inch movement for every one turn. See what I mean? Strictly hypothetical measurements here, but with a finer thread maybe you'll get a 1/16th of an inch movement for every turn as opposed to 1/4 inch movement with every turn with a coarse thread. Your control arms will do just fine for a trail rig, but keep this as food for thought in the future.
HTH.
Thanks,
Dan.
PS Please notice the :D in my first post. Still, beer in a can? :confused:

Yes, threads per inch is what determines how many inches per turn you get.

Example, if it's 14 tpi then you turn the nut 14 times to move an inch. Or a 1/14" per turn.

I know Dan, I was smilin' when I wrote my response. And it's in a can because a 6 pack of bottles is $7.50. But I'm goin with the bottles on this special occasion.

I hear ya on the adjustments but they actually adjust a half a turn at a time since theres no offset on the rubber end, which I'm hopin' will be fine on this trail rig. But I'll know to use fine threads on a more street driven vehicle in the future.

rockcrawlinxj said:
I hear ya on the adjustments but they actually adjust a half a turn at a time since theres no offset on the rubber end
:doh: Yep!! You're right. I realized that after I wrote it. 1/2 a turn at a time. My bad.
Sorry. Theory would still be the same though.

rockcrawlinxj said:
Well, for your information, that beer is $22.00 a case. It's a German beer called Bitburger and I got addicted to it when I was stationed there. And as for the UCAs, They were free. They're from a Skyjacker lift. So nyeeah! Oh yeah, thanks for the vote of confidence.
Mmmmm Bitburger. Drank my share while in Germany...

JnJ said:
Mmmmm Bitburger. Drank my share while in Germany...
My wife's gonna go in the USAF as an officer, so maybe we'll get stationed in Germany again and I'll get to actually drink Stubbies again and do all the stuff with my family that I was too stupid not to do when I was younger and single.

Ya, we spent 6 years (two seperate 3 year tours) over there. We were young and dumb the first time and didn't enjoy it, but the second time was great!

Back