• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 U-Joint Failure??

cherokee89

NAXJA Forum User
I put in new axle shafts with new u-joints in about a month and a half ago, and today one of my u-joints started squeaking. These are Spicer end-servicable joints, and there was plenty of grease in them when I installed them. I did not put the u-joints in the shafts, myself. A local 4x4 place did it. I lubed the hell out of them tonight, and I am going to do a test drive in the morning. I am wondering, though, if excessive heat from crappy front brake components could cause my problems. The brakes were completely new almost a year ago, but the shop that did the work used shitty parts. I have never seen this much rusty brake dust on my front wheels and tires. I do not know that these brakes cause that much extra heat, but I cannot figure out why my u-joint would start squeaking this early. It has not been wheeled. Thanks for any input. I will post an update if I discover the culprit. :flamemad:

Check for slop in your U-joint. Most of the time they make a popping or clicking sound when they go bad.

Raise the tire so you can rotate it and check for any binding in the U-joint (or in the brakes while your at it). I've turned the tire outward and raised it to check the U-joint for binding before too.

Check your brakes out real good ... it may be them that are making the "squeeking" sound.

HTH ... Les

Watch that the joint doesn't spin a cap and crack the ear on your stub shaft or axle shaft like mine did. I read in four wheeler or one of those mags that this is a common problem for the D30. Anyhow, I don't know what could be causing your squeaking though, just thought I would warn you about what else could go wrong. Christian

After sitting for a month in the garage, I got my 2000XJ out to test some mods the other night and got nothing but sqeaks and groans and some real nasty popping noises when taking off from a standstill. This barely occured when turning left, but when turning right....you'd think that you were going to be walking home! :shocked:
I have about 45K miles on her, but haven't really been wheeling since I bought it 10 mos & 15K miles ago. I figure it's time to change out ALL the front U-joints. Does Spicer make a HD greasable replacement for ALL my front joints? And by going greasable, will they be better than the factory "sealed" type when getting into mud and submerged in water?
BLUTO :roll:

Personally, I like greasable joints. When I get done driving in mud and water, I like the ability to push fresh grease into the joint (and push all the water and grime out).

Now ... one very good argument is the sealed joints are better at keeping water and grime out of the joint (crux is "sealed"). Those who are not diligent about greasing U-joints are actually better off using these joints (reference a good article "Driveshafts 401" @ Pirate.com).

If you decide to use greasable joints, you must maintain them.

Les

Well, I got under there and shot a bunch of grease in the u-joints, and it has not made the noise since. I guess I should have done one at a time, to track down the bad one, but it will let me know if it is bad in the future. I have greasable Spicer's on everything up front. The dirveshaft is a pain in the ass because you have to remove it from the vehicle in order to grease the 2 u-joints in the double camden joint. IT doesn't take that long, but it is still a pain while laying in my driveway. After spending $360 to have the MF'r rebuilt, I will be very good about keeping fresh grease in it, though.

BTW-I heard Spicer is going to stop making servicable u-joints, and everything will be the Spicer Life line. Not greasable. Will have to wait and see if they actually work for life. :dunno:

Back