• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Benching My 231

csudman

NAXJA Forum User
Yeah, I'm gonna work out with it. I'm sayin it before anyone else does. I'm gonna install a new 231 tommarow. I got one out of an 88 for cheap and mines busted. Any tips, tricks, or advice for pullin it or anthing. I've done several short shaft kits, but never completly pulled the case. I've got a shop and lift and everything. I'm sure its not gonna be a big deal. But just thought I'd ask.

To be quite honest, when I pull my 242 I do it on the ground. Remove all your bolts and let the thing spin down. Situate yourself directly under it, do some quick breathing exercises, and pull it off and set it on your chest and then roll it off. The 242 is a bit heavier, so you shouldn't have much of a time with your 231. Putting it back on is just as easy, they aren't that heavy.

Sean

Are you sure the one you bought fits?You have to have the right spline count and length!

OneTonXJ said:
To be quite honest, when I pull my 242 I do it on the ground. Remove all your bolts and let the thing spin down. Situate yourself directly under it, do some quick breathing exercises, and pull it off and set it on your chest and then roll it off. The 242 is a bit heavier, so you shouldn't have much of a time with your 231. Putting it back on is just as easy, they aren't that heavy.

Sean

Same here.

Gary E said:

Yea - those are nice but I think is a 15mm not a SAE nut - 9/16 is a pretty close interchange though...

You can just lift it in and out with out any issues... To be a real ironman try benching the AW-4 back in - I about burst a vein but got it up there :rolleyes:

I am just waiting until I have to put the NP202 (np205's big bro) into my willys - yikes

Rockwell chunks are another trip down hernia lane... especially when you have three complete front ends in a 1983 GMC Jimmy to unload by hand!

I don't think there's enough room to fit a gear wrench in the bottom bolt area on the passenger side. It's been a while since I've pulled it though, I could be wrong. That AW4 is one heavy mofo, learned that when I had to weld up my cracked bellhousing.

Sean

Sean, you need to eat some wheeties.

The 242 is light, the 231 even lighter, and the aw4 is not bad at all.

Now lets talk pounds, NV4500 and an AII. :D

hinkley

OneTonXJ said:

Sean

Ditto with my 231, it's not that bad.

one tip I have is to remover the crossmember, then let the tranny and t-case down a few inches, so you can get to the bolts easier. Other than that, it is pretty straight forward.
For putting it back in, I like to have it in 4-low, so I can turn either output to get the input splines to line up. That can be a pain if the splines don't want to line up, while you are holding that sucker up there, but not bad.

Well, I'm a wuss then! I used a floor jack when I pulled my TJ's 231 out to do a short shaft install. I just put the floor jack up underneath it, unbolted it, and out it came. Probably the easiest install I've done. It was much easier than laying underneath it. We tried that idea with my friend's TJ.

I cut down a 9/16" cheap end wrench I tried a "gear wrench" but it didn't have enough sweep for me. Ijust used a good standard wrench to break them loose.

Back