• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Compact cats.....beezil?

Safari Ary

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, I'm trying to tuck my exhaust up b/w the "frame" rails to make way for a flat skid. Problem is that my factory cat is 6" tall and I can't find any that are less than 4" tall. I know this was discussed relatively recently, before the board switch, and I went back and searched, but couldn't come up w/ anything. Can you guys give me some pointers as to where to look?? Thanks

Ary

P.S. Also, do I NEED a cat?? Now before you jump on me, I just read a complete thread on JU about this, BUT, I have two "pre-cats" in my exhaust manifold, and I want to know if these are sufficient or not. I do NOT want to 'cause more problems w/ the environment, but I wonder if the 2 pre-cats are enough by themselves and the "main" cat is just for redundant/stupid gov't regs. Thanks again

DOH! I knew that ;) I know a few state inspectors though ;) I was really wondering if the dangerous pollution would really gain that much by removing the main cat, what w/ the pre-cats and all. Running a straight pipe where the cat is would make life SOO much easier, although I'll prolly just get another cat anyway, just to be 100% legal and morally free of any guilt. Thanks

Ary

I've got a Catco high-flow model, and it seems pretty small to me. I haven't had any problems with rocks/obstacles hitting it, however my Flowmaster is a different story (I've already taken out 2 of the 3 heat sheild clamps). I got my cat at Summit Racing, don't remember price, they have either the universal model or the one with the flange to bolt up. If you have a shop install it you might as well get the universal model.

Hunter, you can pass inspection w/o a muffler? Didn't know that, but you can get ticketed for noise ordnance. Although police are pretty lenient around here for that, anything louder than stock is breaking the law.

Ar,

I wish I could remember where the HECK I got mine.

It is VERY small!

You may have seen my crossmember/skidplate, and I don't know if you can imagine this, but I fit my cat AND muffler totally BEHIND the crossmember.

I *THINK* I got it from Rusty......I have his cat-back, which you just can't beat, and if memory serves, which it usually doesn't have a reason to, I mighta told rusty what I was doing, and he mights threw that mini cat int he order.....

wish i could be more help

I just got another CatCo high flow unit(my last one was beat on rocks one too many times) from Summit, it seems pretty small.
cat.jpg

Hard to see the edges but it measures 3-1/2"s tall...
cat2.jpg

Jes

Beez...does yours have appx. 1" plugs at the front and rear of the cat (riht where it angles up to the pipe)? Just curious 'cause mine does (in fact, it was missing one when I got it!)

opinions

firstly, id like to say, a vehicle with a good tune and no cats, will probably run cleaner than a vehicle running pig rich, out of tune, and with cats.
thats beside the point though.
both carsound and random tech make good, small cats with very high flow.
id tell you just to ditch the cat but heres why not....
number 1, i have serious doubts that the 4.0 flows enough air to notice any real performance gain from removing the cat, which, if aftermarket, isnt really a restriction anyhow.
second, if you run any aftermarket exhaust, it CAN (not always) make the sound raspy and sorta shite can-ish.
third, on most OBDII vehicles, the second 02 sensors main task is simply making sure the cat is working. if the cat is absent, or non functional, it will set a code on the comp.

hth
~John

Thanks guys, I'll call Rusty tomorrow and see what he's got. Seeing as how he owes me $100, I could order the cat and still come out w/ a credit to my card. :D Peace

Ary

P.S. My cat and muffler are both behind my stock crossmember. Is that what you meant Beez? or behind the entire skid?? Thanks

Hows this one for small. It's from spintechmufflers.com.
cats1.jpg

I also plan to get their ultra slim muffler shown here.
14.jpg

Only 2.25" thick!!

And yes, you will need the rear cat. The pre cats you have only help clean up the emissions some more, they can't do the job of the large one. If you remove the main cat, your post cat O2 sensor will go out of range and set your check engine light. That's what the post cat O2 does, monitor catalyst efficiency.

Speaking of the post cat O2, you will have to have an O2 bung welded into almost any aftermarket cat you buy.

Ricer Parts?

I know a few import buddies of mine are running high flow import cats that are about the size of a cherry bomb. You can find them in any import place or on ebay. Just look up catalytic cat honda/accura/nissan etc.

Back