• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Over the knuckle clearancequestion?

Incredible Hulk

NAXJA Forum User
OK, so I am planning on doing a steering setup exactly like JnJs,
frontend1.jpg

but am wondering about the over the knuckle part of it all. I already have one side of the sway bar links extended up with teh ORGS mount, if I was to move up the other side, woudl I still have clearance issues with the coil buckets and track bar? I am using the stock D30 knuckles. I was planning on using 3"16" DOM for the TR. So, just clearance questions, will I have issues if I go over the knuckle? or should I just stay under the knuckle and be done with it. It will be hella strong...
josh

Going OTR will definitely require you to relocate your trackbar bracket on the axle (this is a blanket statement, relative to the steering hardware that you chose to use). It will need to be move it up above the operating plane of the TR to eliminate contact issues and still maintain stock turning radius, the new trackbar should be located so it is in parallel with the Draglink angle.

I suggest getting your new steering parts, mocking it up with some cheap pvc pipe and see where your clearance issues are. Turning clearance is only one
to consider, look at clearance during full articulation on each side, diff cover clearance, swaybar brackets, TRE bind at pitman and knuckle on droop and stuff, steering stabilizer placement, spring perches............check it all. :looney:

Other than moving the sway bar link mounts and the track bar axle mount, there are no clearance issues. ORGS also makes a weld on bracket to move the track bar above the axle tubes.

If you run a straight TR and you're getting full lock out of your knuckles you will most likely hit the coils. No way around it with stock steering knuckles. It wont inhibit your steering much.

I would use something heavier than .188. It's good for plating & brackets but your TR can take some serious abuse on the trail. Plan on .250 wall or better just to be safe, it's not any more expensive really. BTW, I bent a .388 wall TR, not much but a bend nonetheless.

Goatman said:
Other than moving the sway bar link mounts and the track bar axle mount, there are no clearance issues. ORGS also makes a weld on bracket to move the track bar above the axle tubes.

OTK....OTR...what's the diff? :)
I had to grind the front of my spring perches flush with the coil so the TR didn't hit at full lock.

Last edited:
Here's a pic of how I did mine on the D30. I used an inverted Y rather than an inverted T, and raised everything 1 1/16" above the knuckle with a spacer. I didn't have any clearance problems with the coils or perches. I also had previously adjusted my steering stops a little, so maybe that had somethig to do with it.

standard.jpg

Back