• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Acrylic Enamel vs polyurethane

Gary E

NAXJA Member #687
Still working on the paint selection. The acrylic enamel is $120 and the poly is $240 is there going to be a noticeable diffrence in the strenght between the two, obviously both will loose against the rocks but I am wondering how they will do against the brush.

I picked up some rustomeum hammerd finish in the quart can and thined it out and sprayed it on the junk jeep, I kind of like the way it looks and it would be super easy to touch up but the wife and a few others that have looked at it gave it the thumbs down.

rearqthammerite.jpg

Urethane is the choice for durability and the "wet look" shine. Enamel=cheap ($11.00/pint for me yesterday) if you don't need the durability and hi gloss finish- do the Enamel. If you are doing urethane do a single stage (more color on vehicle than base clear) and make sure their booth can bake the finish on. makes it more durable than air cured.(I managed Hi-end bodyshops for 9 yrs prior to becoming a SPED teacher) :flame: your finish it makes it more durable. Ask the local shops they'll tell you.

No booths here! this is strictly a Garys Garage job :)

I called one paint shop here the one guy said the PU is much more durable than the AE (I think thats tougher than normal enamel.) Then I called another shop and this guy said the AE was more durable, he further explained the AE will resist scratches in the brush easier but a dent is more likely to cause chips. I tend to beleive the second guy because that makes sense, that coupled with the fact that neither can sell AE locally.

hmmmm I don't think I'd agree..... I got a urethane varnish for my hardwood floors because it resists scratches a lot better and it is going to outlast all the other varnish types.... so him saying that it scratches easier, I'd wonder...

Also our scratches aren't caused by little dinky leafs going by and hitting the car... they are caused by big honking branches blocking the trail, and I'd say that with those the AE will most likely chip away.....

The enamel dries hard. It will chip easier. Also it is less UV stable (fade and chalk faster). The Urethane remains flexable so it is less likely to chip or crack if you ding it and it is tougher.

Something to ponder is that Urethane or other enamels that are mixed with a catalyst (hardener) tend to be very unfriendly to your lungs. (as in just a one-time exposure can be BAD) If you go this route at home, be sure you have the proper filters in a well-fitting mask, and keep some ventilation going...

I'd like to wheel with ya someday and that would be tough if you turned into a bubble-boy on us :)

Back