• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aluminum wheel repair..

sidriptide

nobody of any consequence
i just picked up a full set of 15x8 TJ canyon wheels with decent wranglers in trade for my MT/Rs.... after having my new wranglers mounted i had a nasty vibratuion at 40 - 45 mph and again at 70 mph where it felt like a wheel actually leaving the ground... turns out the drivers front wheel had a curb rash which i wa away of but i didnt see the crack in the wheel... :dunno: ... not sure how i missed it , but im pissed the clown who mounted them didt say anything.... either way... the wheel is otherwise in excellent shape, i know there are companies that will repair wheels but is it cost effective?? how does it look cosmetically when they are done?? anyone have any experience with this? i'm thinkin i have a nice shiny ottoman for my livingroom now....
mike

A friend of mine owned a body shop, and the insurance companies would sometimes only pay for the repair of the wheels. Some of the factory wheels are crazy expensive. The 6 star mags on the fullsize chevy pickups for instance were $600 bucks a pop (even though american racing made them). The repair places usually only charged 100-150 per wheel and fully guaranteed there work. I saw wheels that had been repaired, and you couldn't tell where the repair was. If you can have it repaired for cheaper than you can find another wheel I would go that route.

yeah i was thinkin that.. theres also an aftermarket body shop supplier here in town that sells reconditioned wheels cheap with a core swap.. i needed an alum wheel for an olds alero a while back and OEM wanted 695.00 for it..... i got it for 140.00 +old wheel swap.. might call them too..
mike

Back