• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

strange clunk in rear end?

3KXJ

NAXJA Forum User
It sounds like it may be the disc brakes binding. I really have no idea. It's two clunks right after I stop then go again. Any ideas?

I just had something similar happen to me. I part actually came loose and dropped between a shoe and drum. chipped the drum sh*t.

Take your wheel off and remove the drum and see if any loose parts are kicking around.

Mine did the same thing when I hit the brakes, it would klunk repeatedly until I let off the brakes. It sounded like the axles moving in and out. I took the drums off and looked around and everything looked ok, put the drums back on and it hasn't done it since. Go figure!
Mike Harris

3KXJ said:
It sounds like it may be the disc brakes binding. I really have no idea. It's two clunks right after I stop then go again. Any ideas?

First thing to check (right away) is your u-bolts. Then check the lug nuts and brake caliper bolts. If that doesn't come up with anything, then make sure the driveline splines are greased and not binding.

Thanx, I'll check into the caliper bolts and drive line splines. I have a feeling it's the drive line splines. I recently pulled the shaft and didn't grease the splines when I reistalled it. No grease on the trail.

What condition are your leaf springs in? New, Used, AAL?

I had the same problem a few years back and it turned out to be Axle wrap due to my springs being shot. (short AAL didn't help either)

New leaf packs later and the clunk was gone.

(believe me, it bugged the bejeesus out of me until I figured it out)

HTH

John

Back