• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TC drop

BLUTO

NAXJA Forum User
If you drop your TC 1", does that mean that your shift lever goes down 1" also? Is there a way to bring it back up? What about vibrations in the front driveshaft? Is is a problem on let's say 2-1/2" lift? Do we usually shim the front axles to change angle too?
Thanx,
BLUTO :)

The lever is attached to the floorpan, not the case itself so it won't drop. You may notice a little harder shifting due to the linkage binding, it happens sometimes. You shouldn't need to shim the front axle.TC

To follow up what TC said, when you install your drop, don't allow the case to drop more than a couple of inches, the linkage will get tweeked and you have some issues later. Just drop it 1" and you will be fine.

Thanks guys,
I'm considering the OME 2-1/2" set-up and need to keep my vehicle reliable and "comfortable".....no funny noises, vibrations, etc. I use my "4 FULL TIME" quite a bit, since I'm 3 miles of dirt road to pavement. (technically it's called gravel, but it is mud, ruts, holes, and streams this time of year :D ) I keep that shifter exercised ;) Do they make an extension piece to make up for the drop, so that yo don't get binding?
Thanx,
BLUTO;) :)

You shouldn't get binding, but you may need to readjust the linkage. It is adjustable -- crawl under and take a look. The factory service manual (FSM) explains the procedure. If you don't have a FSM -- "here's your sign." They are worth every penny.

BLUTO said:
If you drop your TC 1", does that mean that your shift lever goes down 1" also? Is there a way to bring it back up? What about vibrations in the front driveshaft? Is is a problem on let's say 2-1/2" lift? Do we usually shim the front axles to change angle too?
Thanx,

I have a 1" dropped TC and no problem with the rear driveshaft. The front one does have some problems, but this will not happen, until you go to something like 5" of lift and have the old style, front driveshaft, without the double-cardan joint near the transfer case.

I do not think that you can shim the front axle to compensate for the angle change, all you can do is adjust the caster.

Rgds

You will get even more benifit if you shim the rear axle up 2 degrees to match the change of angle in the driveshaft at the transfer case end that the spacers give. It is good practice to equal any changes at one end at the other unless you have changed the uni type like using a double cardan at one end.
Check my site if you want to make your own spacers and fitting write up.

I'd recommend putting the lift on first and just see what it does. I bet with 2.5" you won't have vibes. I put a Rusty's 3" on my '99 and do have vibes (the Rusty's 3" rear spring pack is more like 4.5", esp. at first). I put a 1" TC Drop on and don't have any binding or front end problems at all.

Thanks guys!
This lift is beginning to sound like it will work out OK!
I have 2 related questions: 1) will 31 x 10.5 x 15's fit under an OME 2-1/2" lift without rubbing. 2) do I need new bumpstops or do they make extensions for my factory units?
Thanks again,

I suspect the 31's will fit but they'll rub offroad, and probably rub when you turn all the way on the LCA's. Mine do and I have a 3". As far as the bump stops, someone else will have to cover that.

BLUTO said:
Thanks guys!
I have 2 related questions: 1) will 31 x 10.5 x 15's fit under an OME 2-1/2" lift without rubbing. 2) do I need new bumpstops or do they make extensions for my factory units?
Thanks again,

I had the OME kit you're getting and with the Bullbar I rubbed on road with 30's...

RJ

BLUTO said:
Thanks guys!
Thanks again,
You can glue in hockey pucks in the front and add a piece of steel tube between the bumpstop and the frame in the back.
I have a write up on it my how to section.

Back