• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roof Rack mounted spare....

Renegade Jpr

NAXJA Forum User
I wanted to know from all of you that have a spare tire mounted on the roof how you get it down. I know it seems kinda like a dumb question but just the other day I had to take down my 33" roof mounted spare and it was a major PITA doing it by myself. I ended up just picking the up off my roof and throwing it down. Is there an easier way?

Hmmm...guess thats what Im going to have to do untill I get a BPI Fab rear swing out.

I stand on the rear tire, roll the tire onto my shoulder, & than step down while supporting the tire on my shoulder. This is with a 35" MTR. It's kinda of combersome, but it works for me. I'd rather be able to look out the rear window everytime I drive it for the # of times I have to haul the spare off the roof.

Matt

Renegade, maybe it's time to consider steroids! :)

What I do is similar to Matt's approach. I stand on the rear tire, then pull the spare to the point where it just about balances on the side of the rack. Then I lower myself to the terra firma, and from the ground I pull it down to my chest, then to the ground. It's heavy (33's), but it works fine. Imagine the guns you'd have doing this with 37's! ;)

It's pretty simple for me I guess. I start by standing on the rear tire, open the back door, were I put grip tape on the upper side of the door jam, & climb up on the roof undo the tire mount, & balance it 1/2 way on the edge of the roof rack. Climb down & stand on the ground & pull it over, & set it down easy, as not to damadge my alum rims on the rocks below :dunno:

I'd stand on the rear bumper and slide the tire toward me, then pick it up and drop it. I'd jump off and get ready to tackle it if it decided to roll. I live on a long steep hill. I got tired of it being on the roof. I had to take it off the roof rack in order to get the Jeep into the garage. After I started using a rear tire carrier, I didn't need the roof rack any more. Eshel has it now.

RR3

My 35" MTR caved the rear of the roof in when I rolled it, oops.

Picture%20009.jpg

somehow i dont think having your tire anywhere else would make a difference in that roll... but it can move your C.O.G. higher.... hope no one was injured..
mike

Beezil said:
tires on roof = higher COG = bad idea.

Beezil, I agree totally with the high COG/bad idea philosophy, but man, it's a real drag having it take up the whole rear or having it on a swing-out and you can't see crapola behind you. Swing-outs are just a pain in general. Your idea is much more convenient on a chopped rig. Plus, the tire on the roof adds real "poser" value, it just looks tough!! :)

Maybe d60's front/rear are in my future, just to anchor the sob down. :)

XJZ said:
Beezil, I agree totally with the high COG/bad idea philosophy, but man, it's a real drag having it take up the whole rear or having it on a swing-out and you can't see crapola behind you. Swing-outs are just a pain in general. Your idea is much more convenient on a chopped rig. Plus, the tire on the roof adds real "poser" value, it just looks tough!! :)

Maybe d60's front/rear are in my future, just to anchor the sob down. :)
I agree.

have scott mac post a pic of how well he manages his storage area...

I think putting a tire on the rooftop is plenty okay for daily driving.....

but IMHO no way jose' for trail riding.

Tube above the roof line = higher COG too beezil boy. Some of us with families that wheel have no choice, but to put it on da roof. Swing out are a major PITA in my book. I had them on my CJ's, but I could just reach into the back without swinging out the carrier. A 35" spare will not fit in the back with the rear seat in use so on the roof it goes.

Matt

Back