• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 Rear Hatch Light Switch?

Yucca-Man

NAXJA Member # 683
Like the title says, I've got problems with the rear hatch light switch. Actually, I don't even know where it is, hence my problem. I don't have any interior lights if the hatch is open, and don't know where to look...any ideas?

i don't know if the 96 is the same in the rear light, but my 98 if you push in on the light is turns it off the lights if you open the hatch. HTH

I understand the 97+ have a push-switch (like the ones in the front doors) but I haven't seen such a thing in my 96. Then again, maybe that's why the light doesn't come on... :p

The switch is inside the latch mechanism itself. Pull the hatch inner panel off (two screws and a bunch of push thingies). Inside you will see a wire that goes to the latch, that is actually the switch. You may have to clean it up real good. I tried that, didn't work for me. Ended up being the wire inside the loom that goes to the hatch was broken, right at the point where it bends (read stress point). I had to fish another wire though the loom and replace it.

Also, if you ahve the switch on the lamp itself (push button switch) that will diable the interior lamps when the hatch is open (and only controls the hatch switch). That switch can fail, happened to me as well. I replaced it with a small rocker style switch about the same size that I found at Kragen.

Sequoia

(By the way, I am assuming that this circuit is about the same as it was in 1989)

Ditto on the previous post (Thanks GSequoia) ... My hatch area light has never worked since I bought the Jeep. I looked at it right after I bought it and found no power, so I just left it as "broke" ... no biggie. I did not know there was a switch next to the latch mechanism until I read this thread. I checked ... the switch was bad ... so I just hooked a jumper wire to it. Now the light works when I "push the little button".

I love a little success!

Of course, I should have a FSM, it would help me fix problems like this.

Hey, my 96 has the same problem..................guess what I am going to do today???

Thanks!!!!!!

Back