• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help getting the door panel off

MattS

NAXJA Forum User
I am trying to get the passenger interior door panel off of my 99 Sport. I want to grease the window tracks. I took out all of the screws and tried prying the panel. It didn't move and looked like it would crack so I left it alone. Anybody know any tricks to get the thing off?
Thanks in advance.......

On the front doors, there are two screws in the armrest, and one in the bezel for the inside door handle, that must be removed. Remove the window crank handle, if present, using the tool that pops the retaining rings off.

Then, starting at the bottom in one corner or the other, there are a bunch of "christmas tree" type push in fasteners that hold the door panel to the inside door skin.

Pop those XMAS tree things out one at a time with a stiff flat prybar. Once the panel is loose, lift up to remove from the top of the door skin, and then disconnect any lock and latch rods, plus the power window and/or lock wiring, if present.

BTW, I don't know of any places to really grease the tracks on modern window regulators. They use plastic to make the surfaces naturally slippery, so I don't know if you can really make it any more noticeably slippery with grease.

Let us know if you have any sucess with grease....

I never removed the door panel from a 99 Sport, but greasing the window tracks might not be a good idea. Have to qualify the term track, the part at the bottom of the window, where the regulator wheel rides or the rubber/felt where the window travels up and down. Check and see if the felt/rubber in the track (runner) has fallen out and/or twisted. Glue it back in there, with a good contact cement if it has. Clean the window runner, with a stiff brush, and lub with a dry lubricant, spray teflon or even graphit (don´t know what Jeep recommends).
Grease in cold weather, gets stiff, will stick and collects grit, sand and whatnot, makes thing worse in the long run, when used in certain places.
Save the grease for the window regulator, chain or cable. Though even there, chain oil, often works better than grease.
Sometimes the window runners, wear through, only solution is repalcement.
If the wheel for the regulator, that travels in the track at the bottom of the window, is making noise. You´ll often find, the shaft through the wheel is severly worn and grease doesn´t help much.

i just messed around with my passenger door panel (window motor) once u make sure all the screws are out the flat pry bar is a great idea. just be careful with the whole window motor assembly (if u have power windows) the tubes that protect the screw track the moves the window. the tubes are pretty easy to break at the base of the motor. once they break your screwed. good luck and merry christmas.

Back