• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

do i have a locker in the front? (extremly noobish)

jeepster

NAXJA Forum User
Just bought a 97 sport about a month ago. have alot of plans for it. but on to the question. yes i know it sounds noobish, but i'll ask anyways. when ever im in 4wd, and turning fairly tight the front feels like it has a ractheting effect to it. and also there is a vent tube from the front diff up into the engine bay with a vent cap. i did not think that that was from the factory. any suggestions would be great. by the way this site kicks some serious A$$. glad to join the XJ family.
I had a 79 cj-7 about two years ago. ever since then ive been in love with jeeps. merry christmas, happy hanukah, and pleasent kwanza!

The vent tube is standard - has to be. As the oil heats up, air expands, and if there is no vent, you will blow a gasket.

As far as the locker - highly unlikely. I don't recall production XJs coming from the factory with a front anything other than an open differential, and maybe LSD in the rear. As far as the "hitching" when you turn in 4WD - all three of my XJ's do/did that, and they all have open D30 up front. I know there's a reason why, but I just can't recall at the moment. Anyone want to help me on this one?

If you are going to add a locker or an LSD, suggest you start with the rear. There are units out there that don't require you redo the entire axle setup (like PowerTrax) - or you can save the job for when you get new axles and just build them all up before you install them (for instance, I have a pair of D44 from Dodge FS that I've got to set up for my 88, which will go in as part of a massive project - axles, lift, transmission, &c.)

Hope that helped a little... If you want more information, look for the tags on the front and rear axles (should be attached by the cover bolts, figure they're about 3/4" by 3" or so) and write down the numbers. Bring them here, and I'm sure there are several of us who have the Dana BoM listing bookmarked...

5-90

LSD = Limited-Slip Differential. Clutch unit that is suuposed to have better street manners than most lockers.

BoM - Bill of Materials. Listing of everything that went into an assembly at the factory. The BoM does not account for changes by previous owners...

The only way it would have a front locker would be if the previous owner(s) installed if after purchase.

Re: ratcheting.... that's normal in 4wd part time, and because in turns the front axle travels farther than the rear, and is forced to turn the same rate. BTW, this is a BAD idea on a high traction surface like asphalt or concrete.

The vent is standard.

I really appreciate the quick and simple replies. im glad i decided to start posting on this forum. i really hated having to ask the question becuase im really not that inept when in comes to vehicles. this is just my first XJ. my last car was a 01' impreza that i motor swapped a WRX motor in. (314 to the wheels :confused1 ) well i hope to talk to you guys more in the future. im at my parents for christmas, but when i return to chattanooga its time to turn my jeep in to a decent trail rig. i already have a snorkel on it, and i have a RE 3.5 kit with rancho shocks and steering stabilizer waiting to get installed.

Back