• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gasket Removal

ken johnson

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone got a good tip on removing a baked on cork oil pan gasket off the surface of my 89xj 4.0 block surface? I removed the pan to replace a leaking rear main and have cleaned the pan up pretty good. Now how can I get the gasket off the block surface without holiday stress? I've got little room to work under there. Thanks guys. Merry Christmas.

I just normally use a good gasket scraper, and if that doesnt work, I will use a wire wheel on my drill.

I scrape as much as possible without digging in too much. Soaking the remaining gasket material, in penetrating oil, sometimes helps. Aceton, often helps remove the last bits of adhesive and what not. Aceton evaporates fast, works better doing a short section at a time. I use brass brushes where ever possible, avoid sharpening the scraper too much. But an occasional rub on a stone, helps if it becomes too dull. There are some comercial products, available, havn´t used many.
Got to find a balance between removing material and adding scratches (that may cause sealing problems).

Back