• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cat. Q.s & exhaust size...

Xtreme XJ

NAXJA Member #1138
NAXJA Member
Hey All:
I'm in the process of installing a new exhaust on a 96 OBDII with a 4.0 in Calif. & I'm having problems locating a new catalytic converter. Am I correct in the fact the the stock tubing is 2.25" ? Does it open up abit right before it dumps into the cat? As far as I know and in keeping with the size tubing I have now I'm looking for a 2.25" in & out cat. is this thinking/sizing correct? How about locating a used one from a boneyard off a say 97 or later with low miles, any thoughts ? Good or Bad?
Thanks for any ideas....
Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)
P.S. When I say "problems locating a new cat." I have found 2 but both were well over $250.... OUCH !!!!!!

ya new cats are expensive. I dunno about the size. i know on my exhaust i had to up the tubing size from 2.5 to 3 right at the cat so it would fit. if you buy a cat from a junkyard make sure you cut it off far enough before and after the cat so you can use a coupler to attach it to your piping. if you want i know a shop that sells cats for like 100-150. mine was 200 and its a Hi-Flow so it should be cheaper for a stock cat.

ReBeL XJ said:
ya new cats are expensive. I dunno about the size. i know on my exhaust i had to up the tubing size from 2.5 to 3 right at the cat so it would fit. if you buy a cat from a junkyard make sure you cut it off far enough before and after the cat so you can use a coupler to attach it to your piping. if you want i know a shop that sells cats for like 100-150. mine was 200 and its a Hi-Flow so it should be cheaper for a stock cat.

Rebel:
Thanks for the help... as of right now I'm gonna keep look'n at afew more local places and maybe the boneyard....
Thanks again
Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

You might want to try looking on ebay. I have heard from a few different people who have bought a universal fit carsound catalytic for around $35.00. Couldn't tell you what that means far as inlet and outlet sizes, but is a lot cheaper than some other alternatives.

Back