• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear End Help / Ho Ho Ho!!! Bah Humbug!

tjcorrell

NAXJA Forum User
I know what your gonna say, what an axxhole!

Just got done ~ 3 weeks ago doing my 4.5' RE Lift, took longer then I thought it would, tied up my Brother in Laws lift for 2 1/2 days. Anyway, I wound up putting in a 3* shim to avoid any vibes till I got got my RE Hack & Tap. I was planning on changing the Frt. & Rear fluids with synthetic when I did the Lift.

Past couple of days I've been hearing a noise coming from the rear on decelaration, I thought it was the U-joints starting to go up.

This morning I got up and was outside having a cup of coffee and looked over @ the rear of the Jeep and saw a grayish - white fluid coming down from the plug on my 8.25 Chrysler rearend, DEATHSCUM. I'm assuming two things.

1. There was low fluid in the rear to start
2. Tilting the pinion 3* up probably starved & fried the pinion bearing
3. The heat from the bearing probably cooked the fluid

So the question is, can I just pull the cover, drain the fluid, use brake cleaner, put it back togeather and fill it up?

Any advise?

If I have to do the " RIGHT THING", who has the best deal on a complete package, 4.56's, Master Kits, Rear ARB and a front Mechanical( which one?). I was going to do it anyway, but not till Spring.

I will try to answer,What caused the foam,was there water in the fluid,did you find any shavings ?
I have been running with a 6* shim for a long time and have had no problems,I do use the 85-140 gear lube.
If I read your post correctly you have not put in the SYE yet and the noise you hear is probably the U-joints,they don,t like too much angle.
Wayne

It's interesting you mentioned water, someone else mentioned that today to me.
I bought the Jeep ~ 6 mos. ago used. I couldn't get over @ the time what great shape it was in for a '96 with 120K miles on it. Not a nick or dent on the body, and not a stain on the interior.

Of course after you get it and start "really" looking at it I noticed three things I didn't see when I got it;

1. Someone had worked on the D30 because there was a Silicon gasket vs cork.
2. The interior had a "moldy smell" to it, I thought from sitting on the car lot during the summer all closed up.
3. Someone had repaired the Header on it on the down pipe going from the header to the down tube connection.

So things go through your mind speculating on the history. The car came from Va. so I think, possibly it may have been submerged @ one time from a flood or Hurricane!

Hey,I,m from Va..That smell is probably comming from under the carpet on the drivers, side floor.
A popular place for a water leak,Mine leaks when the AC is on.
Wayne

If your going to do the "Right thing" go to www.4x4rockshop.com and contact mike, he will give you a awsome price on everything he can.

Back