• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Johnson Valley April 11-13.....update

Goatman

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Well, we're less that two weeks away. I hope everyone is making good progress on all those last minute modifications, plus a few major rebuilds. Mil is going to cook Carne Asada on Sat night, and Andy (CRASH) is going to deep pit a pig on Fri night. We still need to get a decent head count on who will be there for dinner on Saturday night, so please respond and say how many will be with you. You might also mention if you plan to bring anything to add to the feast. I'll post directions for those who need them in another thread.

It looks like Sledgehammer will be the run on Friday, and we may do a short night run Friday night after dinner....we'll see who's up for it, any takers? :D Saturday I think we'll run one group on Clawhammer and one group on Wrecking Ball. The moderate run will be Claw, and the hard run Wrecking Ball. These two trails meet at the top, so it's possible to walk or drive down the other canyon when finished to observe or offer assistance if needed. Those who aren't equipped to run the trails can ride along with someone, or even drive to the top and walk down either trail to watch. It's a lot of fun to be on these trails, whether you're driving or observing.

Clawhammer is a challenging trail, but is one of the less difficult of the JV trails, and is a good run if you haven't run this type of trail before. Equipment requirements for Claw will be at least 32" tires and a rear locker. Any with a D35 (without a Super 35 kit) need to carry spare axles. Also, any with 260x front axle joints need to carry spare axles. This group will take it slow and easy, and you should be willing to take a strap if needed rather than pushing it and risking breakage, or stacking a lot of rocks. Please understand that breakage is not inevitable on this trail, just possible depending on luck and driving style with smaller axles. Wrecking Ball is a hard-core trail with good potential for body damage. Equipment requirements will be 33" tire minimum, dual lockers, low gears, and spare parts.

I'd like to get an idea of how many will want to run Clawhammer on Saturday. I also would like to find a couple of volunteers to be trail leader and tailgunner for this run. We can figure it out there, but it would be nice to have it arranged ahead of time. Saturday's runs will leave camp at 8:00 am sharp. We'll also run something on Sunday for those who want. So.......who thinks they'll run Claw?

Richard, I will be there Friday night after work but not in time for
dinner.I will call Mil and see what I can bring for Saturday
nights feast.If my Dad goes and brings his jeep he might what to
start out on Claw. If so then I would be glad to tailgun this run. I
haven't run it before so I don't want to lead, I don't even know
where it starts.Trying to get a few more modes finished before the
run. See you there Dave Taylor

Loren and I will be ready for Carne Asada on Saturday, just tell me what to bring. (Cash for the booty is my favourite option!)

We're still deciding on the boar in the ground. Loren needs to get out next weekend and find a nice 20 - 40 pound suckling to kill, otherwise, it will be carnitas and tortillas on Friday (still yum-rific).

CRASH

Richard, do you have a map or GPS coordinates of the trails down there? I can find my way to Sledge and Jack, and maybe Outer Limits, but I'll get lost trying to find everything else.

Plus, I have a pretty poor sense of direction anyway. :anon:

CRASH

I'll run Claw, or whatever, if there is enough to make a team. I have never run Claw before.

CRASH said:
Richard, do you have a map or GPS coordinates of the trails down there? I can find my way to Sledge and Jack, and maybe Outer Limits, but I'll get lost trying to find everything else.

CRASH

I don't have either a map or GPS coordinates, but I know someone does. Paul?

Mil will be there on Friday, and he know's where the trails are. Saturday we'll all be there.

Sledge - 34*24'52.6"N, 116*28'28.3"W
Jack - Starts at Sledge
Wrecking Ball - 34*25'19.0"N, 116*28'28.26"W
Claw - 34*26'20.8"N, 116*28'40.6"W
Outer Limits - 34*27'16.6"N, 116*27'6.3"W
Sunbonnet Pass - 34*24'11.4"N, 116*26'3.1"W
Aftershock - 34*25'16.5"N, 116*26'6.0"W

I've never used these, but I assume they are correct.
Paul

CRASH said:

CRASH

Dinner on Saturday

Lookin forward to seeing everyone.
I'll probably do Claw on Saturday so that I know that I will hve time to get back and set up for the dinner.
I havn't done claw but I'm pretty sure I know where the start is. I know where it ends up on the hill just below Wrecking ball.
It looks like we will have quiet a few for dinner now so I'll plan like I did last time. I planned for 25 last time and I had some left over which is fine with me.
I'll have the carne asada, tortillas, refried beans, cheese, cilantro and onions.
We'll need chips, salsa, and what ever else you can think of that you may want to share.
A few deserts might be good to have.
Ok, I'll be there work shop and all. I plan on leaving Thursday nite if everything goes the way I plan.
Mil

Mil, if you're willing to lead Clawhammer that would be great. I know Mike said he wants to run it, and probably Ed, so there are people who could make sure everyone can get off the trail if it gets late and you need to head back to camp and start cooking. Also, the lead group coming off Wrecking Ball can help any that are still coming up Claw if it gets late in the day. This plan should work out very well. More than likely, unless there are a couple of breakdowns, the Clawhammer group should be able to go to the top of Wrecking Ball and watch the other group finish the trail.

A couple of good trails, good company, and two evenings of good food..........this is going to be a very nice weekend. :) :)

Lets go Wheelin...

Hey Richard,
How can I refuse to go, I can see the trails and taste the food already. I will be showing up at about 7:00 AM Friday, as I did last time. Let me know what I can bring for dinner sides...
Sean M.
ROCKWGN

QUOTE]Originally posted by Goatman
Mil, if you're willing to lead Clawhammer that would be great. I know Mike said he wants to run it, and probably Ed, so there are people who could make sure everyone can get off the trail if it gets late and you need to head back to camp and start cooking. Also, the lead group coming off Wrecking Ball can help any that are still coming up Claw if it gets late in the day. This plan should work out very well. More than likely, unless there are a couple of breakdowns, the Clawhammer group should be able to go to the top of Wrecking Ball and watch the other group finish the trail.

A couple of good trails, good company, and two evenings of good food..........this is going to be a very nice weekend. :) :)
[/QUOTE] :D

Mil, I'll be bringing the chips and salsa. Hopefully I'll be able to make it, it really depends on my Monday jury duty. Hopefully they'll dismiss me because I won't be compensated money wise for missing work.

Jes

Jes said:
Mil, I'll be bringing the chips and salsa. Hopefully I'll be able to make it, it really depends on my Monday jury duty. Hopefully they'll dismiss me because I won't be compensated money wise for missing work.

Jes

Tell them if the cops think he's guilty, that's good enough for you. ;)

Here in Kern Co, they only make you go one day unless you get onto a panel, and then they only make you sit on one panel. Odds are you you'll be fine.......see you in JV. :)

Just checked the weather and we all better dress warm! Highs in the lower 60s lows in the upper 30s. :shiver:
Chance of thunderstorms on Saturday and Sunday.
Hmmm, last year at this time is was in the 100s down there.
Who's bringing firewood?

Jes

I'll throw a bunch in. Damn, I'm gonna have to bring a tent and tarp now.....I was hoping to sleep under the stars!

Nothing like the extra challenge of a flash flood while negotiating Sledge at night!

Any news on jury duty?

I didn't get anything done on the rig, other than screwed in a new pressure switch. No gas tank skid, it wouldn't fit very easily so I said screw it......I guess I'll have to watch my tail! The frame patches make it difficult to get it on there. No rock lights either :( . The million dollar bathroom re-model is killing me!

CRASH

Jes said:
Just checked the weather and we all better dress warm! Highs in the lower 60s lows in the upper 30s. :shiver:
Chance of thunderstorms on Saturday and Sunday.
Hmmm, last year at this time is was in the 100s down there.
Who's bringing firewood?

Jes
Well this sucks... after reading your post I called my soft top guy to get it done this week, turns out he's fully booked. Oh well.
I'll bring some wood.
Paul

Spineless and topless. Nice.

CRASH

Oh, BTW, I have created an Arc-View map with all the trailheads on it. If anybody wants it, let me know, and I'll e-mail it over.

Thanks for the coordinates, Paul.

CRASH

When we where there a month ago we got rained on at night, had to sit inside the motorhome rather than around the campfire. The weather was perfect during the day, though. That was the only time that I've been rained on in JV. I will also bring some firewood.

Looks like I'm going to be towing this trip. I suspect that I have a T-case output shaft bearing making noise. I don't have time to tear it down, and I don't want to chance driving over and back without knowing exactly what's going on. :confused:

Back