• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Putting together a leaf pack?

TB-XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Is this easier to do with the main spring still on the vehicle or should it all be pulled out. I haven't got my front coils yet and I don't think I'll mess with it until warm weather but I was wondering what is the easiest way.

Should I take the entire stock leaf packs out and then swap the Dakota leafs and put them all together or should I/can I do it with the main leaf still on there and just back the u-bolts off loose enough to squeeze them through?

I've never done a leaf pack so any help/tips/tricks would be appreciated.

THANKS!

TB-XJ, I’ll pass on this tip to save you some grief. DO NOT remove the front eyebolt of the leaf springs if you can help it. I completely removed my leaf springs to replace them with new OEM units (mine were sagging bad). Pretty simple idea right? What I ended up with was a mess on my hands. The front bolts are put in at the factory with heavy-duty thread locking compound. They also use a unitized nut (think of it as a squished nut that locks the threads) tack welded inside a pocket welded onto the frame. Ever get the idea that these weren’t meant to be removed? Any ways, the tack welds on the nuts (both sides) snapped. It might have something to do with being 13 years old, mud, salt, etc. There is absolutely no way to reach those nuts with out cutting a hole in the bottom of the brace. The holes were cut, vice grips inserted, an angle grinder employed and nuts/bolts removed. It was a painful ordeal that I wouldn’t wish on another person. If at all possible don’t attempt to remove those front bolts. If you just have to get the springs completely out; go slow, use lots of WD40 and possibly a small torch. If you drop the springs from the rear hanger and remove the u bolts over the axle you should have plenty of room to work. Good luck

It's easiest to remove the entire leaf pack. Lift the rig and support it under the frame, then drop the springs starting with the rear shackle, supporting the axle with a floor jack. Make sure you get new center bolts before you take the leaf pack apart, and possibly new u-bolts.

I think Wiley's experience, while unfortunate, is not typical. I've had mine off numerous times, 10 at least, and I've removed many other people's while helping them to install a lift. When you get to that point, see what you think, but it will be easier to remove the leaf packs.

Last edited:
Goatman said:
I think Wiley's experience, while unfortunate, is not typical.

if you live in a place where they have things like snow and road salt, this IS typical.

the worst is when the bolts rust fast to the sleeves inside the bushings, now THAT is a pain to get apart

CheapXJ said:
if you live in a place where they have things like snow and road salt, this IS typical.

the worst is when the bolts rust fast to the sleeves inside the bushings, now THAT is a pain to get apart

Amen, brother!

Yep - -easiest- to just leave the main leaf intact & add Dakota leaves to that... I wouldn't bother w/ the rear shackle bolt either. (unless swapping in a longer shackle).

Wd-40 is worthless against rust!!Start a few weeks in advance with some sort of penetrant like PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench.

Unless you are planning to replace the Main leaf, there really is no reason to remove the leaf spring pack from the vehicle. Like Goatman said, get new center bolts. You should also have new U-bolts when you remount your axle to the springs too. Another thing ... be careful working with springs due to the forces involved when they are under load.

I've added AAL's to my leaf pack. When I did this, I used C-clamps to hold the pack together and used an angle grinder to cut the center bolt. When this was done, I just loosened the clamps and let the pack come apart. You can clean all but the main leaf off the vehicle. When I put the pack together, I used the C-clamps to hold and compress the pack a little as I reinstalled the center bolt. I did not trust the strength of the threads on the center bolt to compress the spring pack.

IMHO ... leave the main spring on the vehicle. Lots of un-necessary work to remove it.

Les

I have had my springs apart sevreal times, the last time I did the "dakota swap". I found the front eye bolt frozen solid also so I left it alone.

One hint to line up the center pin, use a long carriage bolt to snug everything together, clamp it with a C-clamp them put your center pin through the hole. Makes lining them up a breeze with the arch of the dakota springs being so much more than the main leaf of your XJ.

Damn, a lot of you guys live in the rust belt. Here in sunny southern CA we don't have those problems. :D

Another thing to think about when taking a leaf pack apart is to eliminate as much friction as possible in the pack. Be sure to use the plastic pads on the end of the springs. I also use full length liners between each of the leaves, which lets you have more leaves for weight carrying ability but keeps the ride (and flex) real nice from reducing friction. One of the reasons that coils ride so much nicer than leaves is that there is no friction in the coil. The leaves can be made to ride much nicer also if steps are taken to minimize the friction between the leaves. I clean them thoroughly with a wire wheel and sand paper, paint them with a good quality paint, and put them back together with full liners. I had a friend tell me once that my Jeep rode better than his four coil Grand Cherokee. You can cheat a little on the full length liners by putting a short piece in the center just wide enough to be outside of the u-bolts, then have the pads on the ends. This keeps the leaves from touching until the gap gets filled with crud and rust, but it's still much better than the leaves touching.

Merry Christmas everyone,

Is there anywhere online to buy this liner material? In BFE here.

I had also thought of painting my leafs with that slip plate stuff.

andyr354 said:
Is there anywhere online to buy this liner material? In BFE here.

I had also thought of painting my leafs with that slip plate stuff.

Here ya go......just did a search for leaf spring liner. I get mine from the local spring shop.

spring liner source

Merry Christmas,

Back