• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

price of gears

dellstopjeep

NAXJA Forum User
how much does it cost to have someone change ur gear ratio...... im runnin 31's but may eventually upgrade to 33's. what gear ratio should i switch to and how much does it cost. this is a project i dont think i should take one myself.

with 33s, i think 4.56 should make it up to nearly even with stock RPMs, but gears are an issue of how you want it to be, I think CheapXJ has 36s on 3.55 still and if youre way into crawling you could have youre 33s on 5.13 or something. But 4.56 should make a near-stock setup.

I've run 33" tires with 3.07 (5speed) 3.55 (auto) and 4.56 (both). The lower gears helped with either tranny. I'd probably advise going to 4.88 with the automatic or if ya ever thought about going taller than 33".

Don't fall into the trap of going half-way (like to 4.10) and spending bucks on the install, only to be dissapointed later. I plan to do 4.10s, but it'll be with low-cost used gears, my own time/labor, and a tire size cap of 30" on a stock automatic daily-driver XJ.

IIRC in 2000 I paid $129 for the rear (44), and $149 for the front (30RR) - Both Dana Spicer parts. Install kits were $50 ea IIRC, and I did my own labor.. C 8.25 gears are usually higher than Spicer 44, but ya don't need a new carrier to fit the lower gears on that axle.

Shop labor in NC varies from approx $150 to $500 to set them up.

Back