• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

out with the old, in with the new

dellstopjeep

NAXJA Forum User
thought the title might attract people to answer my question. has any one swapped in a newer HO 4 liter engine for the older one in the late 80 xj's. I was considering this possibility but didnt know if i would also have to replace my tranny also. if anyone has done this pics would be great. So far this seems like the cheapest way to go but it seems to good to be true.

i just replaced the 4.0 in my 89, and i thought about the same thing. your tranny will be fine, but you're going to have to redo all of the wiring that has to do with the engine. someone will probably chime in with specifics, but it was too much hassle for the gains it would have netted.

I have a 95 4.0/96 aw-4 in an 88.

swapped in the 95 wiring harness too, and just needed to adapt the wiring to the gm column....

so easy that way.

dellstopjeep said:
thought the title might attract people to answer my question. has any one swapped in a newer HO 4 liter engine for the older one in the late 80 xj's. I was considering this possibility but didnt know if i would also have to replace my tranny also. if anyone has done this pics would be great. So far this seems like the cheapest way to go but it seems to good to be true.

You also have to be concerned with smog laws. In CA, you'd have to go to the referee and have it smogged to the year of the newer motor, including upgrading anything in the system relating to smog stuff. Probably not worth it, the power difference is not that great. There are easier ways to get an increase in performance.

Back