• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

driveline slack/normal/u joint?

Chux01Cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

Ever since I took my '01 Sport home I have had some slack in my driveline on an intermittent basis. It is most prevalent coming to a stop or accelerating out of a slow rolling stop. I have been told this is normal but I would like some input as to whether or not I have u joint issue developing here. I have driven it for about 39,000 miles trouble free but I would like to know if there is anything to worry about. I am taking it in for 4x4 driveline service in a few days and would like to advise the tech for the issue. Hopefully this is much ado about nothing, as I am meticulous about maintenace intervals and plan to keep this vehicle for a long time. Thanks for reading, look forward to any replies that members have.

Chuck

My '91 driveline was sloppy for years ... and I was told the same. I just had a new lift installed that required a SYE and new F/R driveshafts.

All the driveline slop is gone now and I don't get that clunk in the rear when the AW4 downshifts at low speeds.

A trans/dif shop said it was my 8.25 ... and wanted $600 to tighten up the rear ... glad I didn't take the bait.

bchulett said:
My '91 driveline was sloppy for years ... and I was told the same. I just had a new lift installed that required a SYE and new F/R driveshafts.

All the driveline slop is gone now and I don't get that clunk in the rear when the AW4 downshifts at low speeds.

A trans/dif shop said it was my 8.25 ... and wanted $600 to tighten up the rear ... glad I didn't take the bait.

Thank you for that info, my vehicle is still under warranty, I was thinking about trying to have this taken care of--but I take it yours worked well before you had it fixed??

C

I didn't have any problems with it ... it just got sloppy over the past 12 years (153K miles) of service.

Plus ... I had a Rancho 3" lift for the last 80-90K miles ... probably contributed to the driveline components wearing before their time. IMO... I think 153K is pretty good mileage out of the stock driveshafts & u-joints. I'm really shocked it didn't develop some problems in the tail cone section of the transfer case.

The big surprise was how tight and quieter the driveline got buy replacing and upgrading (SYE & driveshafts) these components ... and the fact there wasn't anything wrong with the 8.25 rear axle to begin with.

You can try ... but I highly doubt the factory warranty will cover changing out driveshafts and u-joints as preventative maintenance---something will definitely need to be defective before they'll pay for that.

bchulett said:
I didn't have any problems with it ... it just got sloppy over the past 12 years (153K miles) of service.

Plus ... I had a Rancho 3" lift for the last 80-90K miles ... probably contributed to the driveline components wearing before their time. IMO... I think 153K is pretty good mileage out of the stock driveshafts & u-joints. I'm really shocked it didn't develop some problems in the tail cone section of the transfer case.

The big surprise was how tight and quieter the driveline got buy replacing and upgrading (SYE & driveshafts) these components ... and the fact there wasn't anything wrong with the 8.25 rear axle to begin with.

You can try ... but I highly doubt the factory warranty will cover changing out driveshafts and u-joints as preventative maintenance---something will definitely need to be defective before they'll pay for that.

Thanks for all your input, I recently consulted a friend that has a Grand Cherokee (2003) and they experience the same issue. It gives me a little comfort to know that this does seem to be normal performance after all. I will still bring up the issue, and see what they say. WHile I'm on the subject of driveline issues, is the whine coming from the driveline in 1st gear normal as well. Forgive the questions as this is my first Jeep and I want to know whats normal and whats not--because frankly---I love this vehicle and plan to be a Jeep owner for life. Again your input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

C

My '99 did the same thing until the SYE. I think it was slop due to the stock yoke.

Chux01Cherokee said:
While I'm on the subject of driveline issues, is the whine coming from the driveline in 1st gear normal as well.

Whine ?

Do you have an automatic (AW4) or a manual transmission ?

If you have an AW4 ... a whine in first gear doesn't sound normal. My AW4 has never been touched except for regular maintenance routines---it doesn't whine in any gear. In fact it's probably the best automatic trans I've ever had in a vehicle aside from a full manual 727 Torqueflight.

It's very quiet in all gears. It shifts firm in auto mode ... and when you manually shift from P to R, R to D, D to R, 1-2 to 3 and 3 to D. The only downside is you can't hold it in 1st when manually shifting from a standing start ... at a designated speed it automatically upshifts to 2nd.

Good luck.

bchulett said:
Whine ?

Do you have an automatic (AW4) or a manual transmission ?

If you have an AW4 ... a whine in first gear doesn't sound normal. My AW4 has never been touched except for regular maintenance routines---it doesn't whine in any gear. In fact it's probably the best automatic trans I've ever had in a vehicle aside from a full manual 727 Torqueflight.

It's very quiet in all gears. It shifts firm in auto mode ... and when you manually shift from P to R, R to D, D to R, 1-2 to 3 and 3 to D. The only downside is you can't hold it in 1st when manually shifting from a standing start ... at a designated speed it automatically upshifts to 2nd.

Good luck.

It is an automatic(AW4) I will bring it up to my tech when it goes in for maintenance on Monday. I have also read that it might be a torque converter as well, your thoughts on that? Thanks

Back