• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My DD is dead. Reversed into a parking spot and......

XJ91

NAXJA Forum User
Just got to work and backed up into a parking spot and the whole jeep just started to grind and shake. (n)

I shut all my electronics off (radio, heat, wipers, lights).
Put it in forward and it seems to jerk and grind, in reverse it seems to be smooth for the moment.

I'm afraid to drive the heep home.

Any suggestions? I don't know if it's the teeth in the rear diff? or at one of the rear hubs?

If this is the case, man I can just hear the wife blahblah Park that POS and walk to work blahblah......

Last edited:
check the u-joints in the rear drive shaft. One of them might be seizing up.

Glad I decided to be a bachelor all my life hehe.

You need one like I got, "Please lift your Jeep 2more inches, You need bigger tires, Boy I think you need to get some Bushwhackers, Lets go to the Badlands this weekend..." :D

seanR said:
You need one like I got, "Please lift your Jeep 2more inches, You need bigger tires, Boy I think you need to get some Bushwhackers, Lets go to the Badlands this weekend..." :D

Let me know if you develop a cough or something, want to throw my name in the hat so she doesn't get away after the funeral.... :worship:
Just kidding, but dang if those kind aren't rare...

An old guy just ran into my lil Saturn with a chev Tahoe this morning...I um..came in second. XJ91, ya have my sympathy, and hope it's something minor. :thumbup:

poomba said:
XJ91, ya have my sympathy, and hope it's something minor. :thumbup:

Well it turns out my Passenger side brake dicintegrated into dust.... :doh:

Nothing wrong with my Diff. :D

Have you noticed a dragging feeling? I ask because that brake may have been binding. Quite awhile back it happened to me, in fact back when I was stock. Where the parking brake cable passes by the leaf pack it eventually created a bind in the cable's sheild. It was easily fixed with a new cable (and sheild, from the dealer).

Sequoia

Actually the inner lip of the outer drum completly chipped apart, the Parking Brake Strut fell from its position and wedged it self between a shoe and the drum.

New drum and I'm all set.

Good thing the weather is holding out, I've got to RTV my diff cover back on tomorow.

sidriptide said:
so she's tellin ya you need 2 more inches huh sean??? whats up with that? party1:
mike

Yeah, and that he needs a BUSHWHACKER too! :hang:

Back