• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dutchman does some damn fine work.

Beezil

Member #Nay
NAXJA Member
I got my warn axle back from Duthcman today. I sent it there to get cut down and re-splined to fit my ford f-250 44 front....Since warn does not support this axle, i had to get a longer one and re-machine it.

I expected to be able to do this work locally, i thought it would have been great to support local industry, especially since the machining sector is hurting so much....

It is SAD that in a place like chicago, i was either told "nope, its too hard, we can't do it" or "we have to anneal it, work it, rehardedn it, and that will be 350 bucks sir".........

so i was forced to send the shaft elsewhere, and I sent it to dutchman....for 55 bucks plus a 5 dollar surcharge to machine a thru hardened alloy shaft, they did the work well within thier promised timeframe, and nowdays so many vendors are over-promising and under-delivering, its refreshing when someone does what they say they will do.....

so here's a little :yelclap: for dutchman.....

I bet right now you're thinking;

"That CRASH is a smart MoFo." :D

CRASH

Your so excited about this I would have thought they gave you some man sex or something. :D

BTW, gussest would have helped.

Beezil,

What's that ONE guys name that supposedly does a TON of machine work? I can't believe he couldn't do it. Is he a poser? :D

I figured he was the one that recommended cutting and welding the shaft. :D

My friend just cuts them on a regular old mill with and indexing thinger merbobber. Cuts, turns, cuts, turns. Takes him about 20 minutes a shaft for stock dana's and I believe he said it was about 10 minutes more for good shafts. Most of the guy's around here just buy mosers or dutchman already the right length if their going that route.

If you bought me that machine I would do them for $0.50. :)

How hard are Dutchman's? I know he's done those. A while back some guys built full width axles for their CJ's then decided they were too wide. I remember him bitching that it took more time to cut them down than spline. He might have done it at work, but I doubt it. Since the Japanese took over he'll get in trouble for having anything that resembles side work on the property.

You would get a kick out of those shops. Same place that has the big torch and 1800 amp mig. One of their lathes is pretty big too, somewhere in the 40 foot range. Most of the shafts they build themselves and they are 48"-60" diameter shafts.

I'm waiting for him to call me back, I'll ask.

I know I don't twist them like yuse guyz, but when I decided to go 29 spline on my 8.25 (not knowing about the required carrier change) I bought a set of Dutchman 29 spline axles.

Junk yards wanted close to 2/3rds what the Dutchman's cost for USED stockers, so I went for it.

bburge

Beezil said:
I got my warn axle back from Duthcman today. I sent it there to get cut down and re-splined to fit my ford f-250 44 front....Since warn does not support this axle, i had to get a longer one and re-machine it.

I expected to be able to do this work locally, i thought it would have been great to support local industry, especially since the machining sector is hurting so much....

It is SAD that in a place like chicago, i was either told "nope, its too hard, we can't do it" or "we have to anneal it, work it, rehardedn it, and that will be 350 bucks sir".........

so i was forced to send the shaft elsewhere, and I sent it to dutchman....for 55 bucks plus a 5 dollar surcharge to machine a thru hardened alloy shaft, they did the work well within thier promised timeframe, and nowdays so many vendors are over-promising and under-delivering, its refreshing when someone does what they say they will do.....

so here's a little :yelclap: for dutchman.....

What year f-250?

I agree. I'm running Dutchman shafts in my rear D44. The day I had those in was the day I stopped worrying...

I've been using Dutchman for a couple of years now, and I've been very satisfied. Currie is pretty local to me, but their attitudes helped me go elsewhere. Couldn't be happier now.

Dan

Beezil said:
I tried to send my shaft to URF, but all they wanted to do was weld gussets to it....

WTF is up wit dat????

Triangulation, my friend, it's all about the triangulation.

CRASH, from Ohio.

What? No fancy pics of this new axle shaft? I want to see the cut end and new splines. Also, was this a long side or short side? If it was a long side, what blank shaft was longer than an F250? Jeff

Back