• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how far off is my speedometer and how hard is to fix it

jimmy forbes

NAXJA Forum User
hey whats up,
i was just wondering how far off my speedometer was, i have a 89 with 33s and haven done anything to fix it, and how hard is it to replace the tooth i beleive its called, so it correct again,
thanks
jimmy

jimmy forbes said:
hey whats up,
i was just wondering how far off my speedometer was, i have a 89 with 33s and haven done anything to fix it, and how hard is it to replace the tooth i beleive its called, so it correct again,
thanks
jimmy

Go here: http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoSpeedoGears.htm
The chart on this site is the most accurate of the bunch. You need to know what your axle gear ratio is (for all 4.0L engines: 3.07 if 5-speed tranny, 3.55 if auto). I believe most 4 cyl engine equipped XJs have 4.10 gears and some with 3.73, but Eagle can correct me if I'm wrong. :)

The speedo gear is easy to change. It's in the transfer case and has a wire running to it. Speedo gears can be bought from a Jeep dealership. And don't let them tell you to get a tooth count that's different from the chart on the web site I provided. I had several people/shops tell me to get one that was WAY off, basing their recommendation off of inaccurate charts.

Tom

i went off a chart simalar to this one and it was right on the money. i have 33 tires and 4.56's so i got a 39 tooth speedogear

moneypitxj said:
i went off a chart simalar to this one and it was right on the money. i have 33 tires and 4.56's so i got a 39 tooth speedogear

money pit; what year and trans do you have. If yours matches mine, I will get the 39 tooth gear. The link to that site looks good but I am having difficulty following it!

Wolz, he year and tranny don't matter. If you've got the same gears and tires that's the speedo gear you need.

O.K. I wasn't sure if the tranny had anything to do with it. I did some searching and it looks like i need a 38 or a 39 tooth gear. thanks

Back