• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NP231J Troubleshooting

PDXXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I need some advice on troubleshooting my NP231J.

Have owned my '96 Sport for about a year and operated in 4WD last year w/ no trouble. About 2 months ago, started noticing a slight leak from transfer case, which I hear is not uncommon for this t-case.

Last weekend, was in snowy conditions and went to engage 4WD Hi which produced an awful grinding noise and vibrations when going to accelerate. Drove home in 2WD and checked fluid level which was fine.

Questions:
What might be the cause of the problem? What should I do first? Check/adjust linkage then open the case to check for damage?

First, does it do it in 4Lo?

Is it still doing it in 4Hi?

Check to see if it really is in the right gear and not just part way in.

Have you done any gear work? If so make sure the same ratios were installed.

Check drive shafts, loose or worn ujoints.

HTH

mark

Yes, it does it in 4Lo and still does in 4Hi.

It's difficult to tell if it's getting into gear properly. Before the trouble started, it seemed to go right in, but now...

I haven't done any gear work on it.

PDXXJ said:
Yes, it does it in 4Lo and still does in 4Hi.

It's difficult to tell if it's getting into gear properly. Before the trouble started, it seemed to go right in, but now...

I haven't done any gear work on it.

If you suspect it doesn't fulling egage the gears which is what it sounds like it's doing. Crawl underneath and disconect the linkage (use the adjustment screw on the linkage) and try to engage the case manually. It sounds to me like the linkage is out of adjustment or the chain is badly stretched and is slipping.

Another thought;

Have you damaged your crossmember lately or have done a lowering kit on the crossmember?

If so the linkage will need to be adjusted.

mark

check your u joints on your front drive shaft

i'm leaning toward the front shaft.. check it and try this.. remove the front shaft and drive it in 4WD.. basic process of elimination..
mike

Back