• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Roll cage time baby... few questions before designing.

BUCKYXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Okay, I work in a Stainless steel pipe and tube shop so have lots of that I decided not to go with a stainless steel cage due it is a little harder to weld and don't wanna spend the extra money. First question what kinda steel do I ask for (type) probably go with 1.25" or 1.5". No steel shops know what DOM is so I need some types to give them. Is there anything I should make sure and do with the cage. I am doing interior and maybe though the roof. but keepin the rear area.gonna tie bucket seats into the rear of the cage for the kids. and seat belt tie ins for sure.whats best to use a mig or gas welder I have access to both and a stick too. I am picking up the tube bender from the father in law this weekend (hopefully). And I have read lots on triangulation what area are good areas I am doing the search from hell right now damn there are a lot of roll cage questions.
DIG IT!

Material: 1.75" O.D. x 0.120" wall DOM. It's cheaper as you buy more. When I built my cage, I bought 100 feet. If your local steel tubing vendors don't even know what DOM is, they're worthless for this project. DOM is just mild steel (1019 or 1020) that has been Drawn Over a Mandrel to shape it. It is NOT ERW (Electric Resistance Welded) tubing. ERW is not safe for roll cage use. Regardless of where you are located, call Tube Service at 602-267-9865. Ask them if they have a dealer in your area.

Design: Besides the obvious "cage" around the occupants, it is helpful to get the cage to absorb as much suspension load as possible. You may also consider spare tire, jack, and other things that may mount to your cage. This is the subject of a really long post, and I'm not prepared to type that much!

Welder: MIG. Do not use gas; period. You'll never be able to get a stick electrode in all the places you'll need it. MIG is good at filling gaps. No matter how well you notch the material, you'll have gaps to fill.

Last edited:
DOM= drawn over mandrel, no seams. 1 3/4 X 1.20 wall is a good size

yeah I know this is a long subject and I am in the design process I have it pretty much designed but just taking more info. I am adding a big X in the rear just inside the hatch area where the spare will mount to plus gonna design in a place for spare shafts/tools and stuff. I love projects and this will be one of the first ones I have to design before I start and don't just start cutting and welding (that is fun!).
DIG IT

If you are asking questions as to what materials you should use and and what welding process to use, it seems you are a little underprepared to be in the design stage. I think you should spend a little more time in the "research stage" before attempting something that your safety depends on. Take it slow and do it right, it is not easy to un-weld a poor cage attempt from an XJ.

I was mainly asking if there was a different name for DOM tubing like 1020 or something. As for the welding I am more comfterable with Mig but have access to the others so I can find someone to help me with that if mig would not be best. I have never used gas when welding only fluxcore so I didn't know if I should learn it or not. I think I know enough and I have been going through the search for the last three days searching for roll cage, rollcage, cage, design, anything else I can think of. Another big ? I had was what would you change on your cage if you could change something? This is a pretty trail only rig with 36s and 5" of lift low designed with Low COG in mind.
DIG IT!

I think you should postpone your project for awhile and gain some experience.

This is what you have told us:

This is one of your first projects. And you've got 3 days research into this.

You're not sure about the design. Or triangulation. Or how you want to lay it out.

You and your suppliers aren't sure about what materials to use. Or what size tubing to use. Or even what DOM is.

You don't know what type of welding would be best. And you're only "comfortable" with Mig.

A rollcage project is a huge one and I just think as of right now, by what you've told us, it's over your head. I know a rollcage is the current cool thing to have, but up until a couple years ago no one had cages in their XJ's.

Right now it just doesn't sound like something I'd want to strap my kids to. Just be patient, gain some experience and understanding.then build a solid, functional cage you'll be proud of. It'll be worth the wait!! :)

OR....You can just enlist the help a buddy or two that have the fab experience/skills you'll need...that'll work, too! :) But just really think about what YOU want this cage to be.

Last edited:
I am not doing it this weekend guys I am thinking I might be done by summer hopefully. I got gears to install, spider gears to weld, gonna paint it, and this is something else that will hopefully be done by May sometime. I am just designing it and getting all the material vendors lined up I can order direct from the mill for the material so I need to know cause it will take a few month to get here. I am not in a big rush on this just gonna start learning how to use the bender and stuff first. I guess I didn't explain my plans good enough. After reading my post again it seems like I am gonna start tomorrow. :wave1:

to heck with ERW or DOM, I'm anal I guess, I use chromolly. I figure if its my ass I might as well do it right. I can't buy life insurance any more so I buy chromo. I'm over 50 and have broken my neck twice. Things just don't heal as fast any more. I get a fairly good deal on chromo, and I like the way it bends and welds. I got started building race cars with it 30 years ago and just never broke the habit.

FarmerMatt said:
This isn't a comp rig that we're talking about nor is it a desert racer doing 120mph across the desert.

Matt

Man, if I could just get mine to go 80mph I'd be happy!!

SnowflakeSmall.jpg

FarmerMatt said:
DOM is cool, but at a much higher cost.
Matt

most of you peoples pay too damn much for your material...

the only west coaster I know that pays whjat he should is crash, but he probably plays the "urf card" too much.....

I'd shoot down the DOM request also. There are only 2 pieces in my entire junkpile that are dom and they are less than 3' long. Everything has held up fine in many different high stress on the cage situations.

Some clarifying of terms for you. MIG is Metal Inert Gas welding. Fluxcore is just using your mig machine as a wirefeeder only.

Get used to welding in the most uncomfortable of situations so that you do full passes all the way around all of your joints.

You should think about gussets also. I like to use 1" round for gussets where handholds are needed and then use small 1/8" plate for the other areas.

Sean

Back