• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mufflers

Fletchs90xj

NAXJA Forum User
Just wondering which aftermarket muffler is a besst bet for strength? I'm fed up with having to change the muffler all the time cause it falls apart at the sight of a rock

The Hooker Aerochambers are built very stout,too. Plus they're all aluminized steel on the outside(like the Flowmaster),but are 100% stainless steel on the inside,and don't have the dreaded "drone" at cruising speed.

Good old fashioned Cherry Bomb muffler. It's stout, free flows and won't bend or break.

One caution though: it doesn't meet the required flame arrestor specifications required in some National Forests or other areas using those rules.

Ralph said:
3 chamber 50 series.

RR3

Me too , just gotten mine installed today! :viking:

3 chamber 50 series with Delta Force Technology. I purchased the exhaust system from Rusty's christmas special, it included Rusty's air tube, the K&N filter (upgraded to 6x9 from the puny 4x5), the Flowmaster muffler and the tail pipe with a chrome tip! All for 230 bux shipped! My pal hooked me up with a muffler guy to torched my old system off and hung the new muffler and tail pipe, sounds awesome and feels better, there is a definate increase in speed and throttle response, my next upgrade will be a TB spacer. I was gonna get the 40 series, but the lady from Rusty's said it would sound too "ricey". :wierd:

Last edited:
"2-chamber (40 series)"

I ran a 2.5" Flowmaster "40" for over 5 years ... nice deep V8 like sound that resonates through the interior. If you use your XJ daily ... and don't want to risk hearing loss over a sustained period ... I suggest a Dynomax Super Turbo---but I can't say how they hold up against the rocks though.

"The Hooker Aerochambers are built very stout,too. Plus they're all aluminized steel on the outside(like the Flowmaster),but are 100% stainless steel on the inside,and don't have the dreaded "drone" at cruising speed."

I also have 3" Hooker Aero Chamber's on my 562ci Hemicar ... like 'em ... but couldn't tell you how it would sound compared to the Flowmaster or Dynomax on a 4.OL. If the Aero Chamber is strong enough for rocks and eliminates the Flowmaster "drone" as indicated above ... I would consider the Hooker over the Flowmaster.

Personally, I'd never again sacrifice my hearing for the sound, strength or perceived HP/torque gain of the 2-chamber Flowmaster ...

From what I've read ... the Aero Chamber is supposed to give you the most torque increase anyway ... but that's in a controlled test environment with very high HP/torque motors.

http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLine/Products/ES/ESHHM/Aero.html

Rusty's Flowmaster is a great deal and the muffler will hold up, gets my vote. I am running a Borla now. Haven't banged it around to much though so the vote is still out. But the deal I got on it was great. So thought I would try it.
Had the Flowmaster on for years, is loud as a daily driver but it's a jeep. Juice

Dog and Ralph, is the 50 series as obnoxious interior sound wise as the 40 is? Clue us in. The 40 on the Chevy truck at work makes a gawdawful racket at say 45 mph, and while that's fun for 5 minutes, 20 minutes later it's lost its appeal, and I can't hear the stinkin' radio without turning it way up. Not my idea of a good thing. You'll know what I mean if the 50's do it too. It's impossible to miss.

Shoeman said:
Dog and Ralph, is the 50 series as obnoxious interior sound wise as the 40 is? Clue us in. The 40 on the Chevy truck at work makes a gawdawful racket at say 45 mph, and while that's fun for 5 minutes, 20 minutes later it's lost its appeal, and I can't hear the stinkin' radio without turning it way up. Not my idea of a good thing. You'll know what I mean if the 50's do it too. It's impossible to miss.

Well it does have a drone to it, but not very annoying when you have the stereo on (normal listening level - it don't have to be loud), it doesn't have too much of a obnoxious noise when you are cruising. It gets a little bit annoying when you are accelerating. It is certainly much louder than stock. The price you gotta pay for performance. :)

edit: But certainly not loud enuff to lose yer hearing, it just sounds kinda like a V-8, and you can definately hear it through the interior. I guess generally, the less chambers you have... the louder it is gonna be. Mine is a 3 chamber muffler, hope that helps.

Last edited:
I installed the Flowmaster 50 series several months ago. It's peak drone is at 2100 rpm, starts around 2000 rpm and diminishes around 2200 rpm. Other members were singing the praises of the DynoMax mufflers :worship: like the one that Rusty's offers.
I'm running 31 x 10.5 x 15's and 3.55 gears, at 70mph (freeway speed) is when the droning peaks. I'm working on my 4.10 swap...which should take me out of the 2100rpm range before I consider swapping out for another brand.
To make things more livable, I cut the tailpipe down to 2-1/4" from 2-1/2" to increase velocity (not volume) thereby changing intensity of resonance. AND added a dual resonated tailpipe (weld-on) to help control some of the noise (added a little Bling-Bling to the rear too :cool: and YES these two items did help reduce resonance!)
BLUTO :)

I also have the 50 series three-chamber Flowmaster and it has two resonance points; one's at 1300-1400rpm and the other's at 2500-2800rpm. My Borla header reduced the resonance a fair bit and the Pacesetter Monza resonated tip that I have on my stock tailpipe also helped a little. I can cruise at just about any speed in 5th gear and the engine stays quiet. In 4th gear, the resonance is more obvious and especially when I get on the gas.
I've had the Flowmaster for seven years so my ears are used to it. It sounds a bit like a Mustang 5.0 and I like it.

Thanks for al the resonses. A buddy of mine can get me a Flowmaster 40 for 59CND about 44USD I couldn't turn that down so that looks like what I'm going to have.
thanks again Fletch

I installed Rusty's kit on my 1998 XJ and the tail pipe it came with had the hangers in the wrong place. I went ahead and welded some homebrew ones in the correct place. Just FYI.

Burley

Not trying to start any arguments here,but a Flowmaster on a 4.0 sounds nothing like a 5.0 Mustang. I've got a 5.0 Mustang with a 2 chamber Flowmaster cat-back system,and it has it's own unique sound,mainly because of the crossover pipe. I hate these mufflers! If I could find someone to buy 'em from me for a fair price,I'd swap 'em out for the Aerochambers in a heartbeat! :skull1:

Back