• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

93 XJ Road manners

tireroastin93XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hello everyone, just registered today. I have a stock 93 XJ that rides extremely rough. I know it's a Jeep, but I've driven others that ride like a caddy compared to mine. It has new shocks, cheapies but new, the front end alignment is good and it has new tires. It jerks from side to side when you hit bumps and if you are going highway speeds and hit some bumps, it acts like it wants to bounce off the road sideways. The steering doesn't jerk around, it's just the vehicle that does. It just seems like if you aren't on a perfectly smooth road, you constantly sway side to side in the seats. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm thinking the springs may need to be replaced, but if I'm going to do that, I want to do a 3" lift. That's another question, what 3" lift kit would give me the best ride? I was thinking of a skyjacker since they advertise the softride technology but with the complete rear springs, it's over $700. I've also heard Rubicon Express has a better ride yet, but I'm new to this and have no idea, I've been more into muscle cars like my 71 Torino GT. I'd appreciate any suggestions or help. I'm really starting to like the 4wd thing, it's a whole new world! Thanks!
Mike

some possibilities

#1... check your steering... the draglink... tie rod.... (the tie rod ends might have worn out) just get new tie rod ends from local auto shop... then install and get allignment

#2... steering stabilizer.... might have died... its basically a shock absorber for your steering.. if it dies the steering can become rough as hell...

thats all i can think of. . .

tireroastin93XJ said:
Hello everyone, just registered today. I have a stock 93 XJ that rides extremely rough. I know it's a Jeep, but I've driven others that ride like a caddy compared to mine. It has new shocks, cheapies but new, the front end alignment is good and it has new tires. It jerks from side to side when you hit bumps and if you are going highway speeds and hit some bumps, it acts like it wants to bounce off the road sideways. The steering doesn't jerk around, it's just the vehicle that does. It just seems like if you aren't on a perfectly smooth road, you constantly sway side to side in the seats. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm thinking the springs may need to be replaced, but if I'm going to do that, I want to do a 3" lift. That's another question, what 3" lift kit would give me the best ride? I was thinking of a skyjacker since they advertise the softride technology but with the complete rear springs, it's over $700. I've also heard Rubicon Express has a better ride yet, but I'm new to this and have no idea, I've been more into muscle cars like my 71 Torino GT. I'd appreciate any suggestions or help. I'm really starting to like the 4wd thing, it's a whole new world! Thanks!
Mike
I would say it the shcoks giving you the rough ride. My wifes XJ, a 93' also,has cheap gas shocks, I can't wait to replace them.

The bouncing around may be bumpster, from worn steering linkages, old stabilizer, or bad tires. Definitely address this before you start lifting it.

Most lifts do not really effect the ride so much, at least up to 4.5". Then it's not really the tall springs as much as the control are geometry. If you look at your XJ now, the front four control arms(they are from the axle to the body) are relatively flat. Well when you get over 4.5" the angle is very steep and the shock of the bump is sent directly into the frame and not into the suspension.

I know you were talking about 3" lift but it still applies. Here is a couple questions for you. Since this is your first lift you really need to consider what size tires you want to run. Do you want to trim your body or not? Are you doing the lift for looks or trail performance? If trail performance, what kind of trails?

Rusty's is another to check out for other 3" lifts. You don't need to break the bank for your first lift. As a rule though in most cases, the more you spend the higher the quality. This is true for RE but not for Skyjacker. Rusty's I find them to be in the middle of both quality and budget. You may also want to consider poating a want add. Used lift parts rarely wear out, except for the leaf springs and bushings.

HTH

first off welcome to the board...
does the steering feel like its sloppy or is it precise and responsive? definately think itas some worn components, but if it feels like it wanders all the time at most speeds i would also suspect the trackbar as well.. a lose track bar gives the vehicle its own ideas of where it wants to go...
3" is a very safe and relatively easy lift for someone with basic skills... get a FSM for your vehicle and follow the steps for disassembly and pay particular attention to TORQUE SPECS.... i use RE stuff and have never had a single problem with them as a company but you will hear "horror stories" and rumors about how bad they are.. do your own research and take it all with a grain of salt...
mike

ChuckD said:
I would say it the shcoks giving you the rough ride. My wifes XJ, a 93' also,has cheap gas shocks, I can't wait to replace them.

The bouncing around may be bumpster, from worn steering linkages, old stabilizer, or bad tires. Definitely address this before you start lifting it.

Most lifts do not really effect the ride so much, at least up to 4.5". Then it's not really the tall springs as much as the control are geometry. If you look at your XJ now, the front four control arms(they are from the axle to the body) are relatively flat. Well when you get over 4.5" the angle is very steep and the shock of the bump is sent directly into the frame and not into the suspension.

I know you were talking about 3" lift but it still applies. Here is a couple questions for you. Since this is your first lift you really need to consider what size tires you want to run. Do you want to trim your body or not? Are you doing the lift for looks or trail performance? If trail performance, what kind of trails?

Rusty's is another to check out for other 3" lifts. You don't need to break the bank for your first lift. As a rule though in most cases, the more you spend the higher the quality. This is true for RE but not for Skyjacker. Rusty's I find them to be in the middle of both quality and budget. You may also want to consider poating a want add. Used lift parts rarely wear out, except for the leaf springs and bushings.

HTH

I was leaning towards replacing the steering stablizer and eventually the shocks with Edelbrocks, but if I do that, won't I have to get shocks for the 3" lift? It's not just the steering that jerks, it's the entire vehicle that wants to bounce sideways. I was hoping a lift with whole rear leafs would improve the ride a little along with edelbrock shocks. The size tires I'm wanting are 31 x 10.50's, probably Trxus. My friend has a set of Trxus on his 81 CJ-8 and they ride well with hardly any noise. The lift will be mostly for looks, but I might join a local Jeep club that does do some mild trail rides. I just checked out a RE 3" lift with complete rear leafs for $580 which is cheaper than Skyjacker and it advertises better than stock ride. I've been subscribing to JP and Four Wheel Drive and Sport Utility mags and have been doing a little research and I really don't want to trim the fenders. I don't want any taller tires than 31's, don't want to lose too much acceleration. I've also switched the front and rear tires and it didn't make any difference. Most of my car experience is with my 71 Torino GT and I'm just now exploring the 4wd world. I will definitly check out all the linkages in the front end tomorrow and I'll probably order a new steering stabilizer and try that. You can let go of the steering wheel tho and it's straight as an arrow. It's weird. Thanks for the help!!
Mike

sidriptide said:
first off welcome to the board...
does the steering feel like its sloppy or is it precise and responsive? definately think itas some worn components, but if it feels like it wanders all the time at most speeds i would also suspect the trackbar as well.. a lose track bar gives the vehicle its own ideas of where it wants to go...
3" is a very safe and relatively easy lift for someone with basic skills... get a FSM for your vehicle and follow the steps for disassembly and pay particular attention to TORQUE SPECS.... i use RE stuff and have never had a single problem with them as a company but you will hear "horror stories" and rumors about how bad they are.. do your own research and take it all with a grain of salt...
mike
The steering is precise and responsive and you can let go of the wheel and it's straight as an arrow. It's like it has a lot of body roll to it. I'm going to check out the front end components tomorrow and see if anything is worn or loose. When I had the front end aligned, the guy checked everything out and said it looked good. I'm also thinking about replacing the stabilizer too.
I just looked at a 3" RE lift with rear leafs for $580 that advertises better than stock ride so I'm considering it also. When I get one, I want new rear leafs, too, not add a leafs. Thanks for the help!
Mike

Well, you found NAXJA. Definitely the best place to get tech advise about your Cheorkee.

sidriptide, mentioned the trackbar, if it is a 93', then it is likely the TRE is worn out. make sure the RE kit comes with an Adj. trackbar, if not then it would be worth adding. As far as shocks, I'd get the lift first and then get the matching shocks. RE makes very good stuff, good choice. Also 31's will fit fine, you will get some Lower control arm rubbing at full turn. Many have given a lot of praise towards the Traxus MT's, very good road manners and excellent traction.

I think you are on your way, try search the forums for DW or death wobble. It doesn't sound like you have either, but you'll find good information on how to prevent it.

Do you have a limited slip rear differential? It's a small possiblity your getting some torque steering. You would know if you had it when you really get on the throttle to pass or getting on the freeway.

ChuckD said:
Well, you found NAXJA. Definitely the best place to get tech advise about your Cheorkee.

sidriptide, mentioned the trackbar, if it is a 93', then it is likely the TRE is worn out. make sure the RE kit comes with an Adj. trackbar, if not then it would be worth adding. As far as shocks, I'd get the lift first and then get the matching shocks. RE makes very good stuff, good choice. Also 31's will fit fine, you will get some Lower control arm rubbing at full turn. Many have given a lot of praise towards the Traxus MT's, very good road manners and excellent traction.

I think you are on your way, try search the forums for DW or death wobble. It doesn't sound like you have either, but you'll find good information on how to prevent it.

Do you have a limited slip rear differential? It's a small possiblity your getting some torque steering. You would know if you had it when you really get on the throttle to pass or getting on the freeway.

I'm extremely happy to have found this association, sounds like there are a lot of very knowledgable members here. Like I said, I'm new to this, what is the TRE? I know what the trackbar is.
I don't think it has a limited slip differential, it mostly just spins one, every now and then, it will do both.
I will most likely go with the Trxus MT's, I'm really impressed with the traction my friend gets with his and they ride really well with hardly any noise. Well, guess I have my morning planned out tomorrow with the Jeep. I'll let you know what I find out. What's one of the better steering stabilizers out there? I was going to replace it eventually, might as well do it now. Thanks again!
Mike

ChuckD said:
TRE - TIE ROD END, this is at the end of your trackbar, where it meets the frame braket. They are also on the knuckles, but the trakbar is a solid bar and is not adjustable.
Thanks, I have to learn what the abbreviations stand for.
Mike

What's your tire pressure? I won't mention his name, but a certain brother-in-law of mine was ready to sell his truck a few years ago because of the horrible ride, bouncing all over the road, etc that you just described.

My sister took it into Big O Tires for a rotation and they noted the tire presure was high. WAY high. Like 70psi high. That's what the max rated pressure on the sidewall was, so that's what the tires had been inflated to. After deflating to a more reasonable pressure, the problems disappeared...

Yucca-Man said:
What's your tire pressure? I won't mention his name, but a certain brother-in-law of mine was ready to sell his truck a few years ago because of the horrible ride, bouncing all over the road, etc that you just described.

My sister took it into Big O Tires for a rotation and they noted the tire presure was high. WAY high. Like 70psi high. That's what the max rated pressure on the sidewall was, so that's what the tires had been inflated to. After deflating to a more reasonable pressure, the problems disappeared...
The tire pressure is about 35 psi, and if it gets any lower, it gets worse. I'm going to check out the components in the front end today and see if anything is worn or loose.
Mike

I also have a 93 and I had what sounds like the same problem as what you are discribing. I checked all the front end parts in the steering and the track bar and nothing changed. I then changed my control arms and put in poly bushings and the problem stopped. I had also changed tires before the control arms and the problem went away for a little while but did return. I have even put the old tires back on now just to see what happens and it wasn't the tires, it was the control arms. The problem has been gone ever since I changed the arms. Don't know if this will help, but good luck.

family XJ said:
I also have a 93 and I had what sounds like the same problem as what you are discribing. I checked all the front end parts in the steering and the track bar and nothing changed. I then changed my control arms and put in poly bushings and the problem stopped. I had also changed tires before the control arms and the problem went away for a little while but did return. I have even put the old tires back on now just to see what happens and it wasn't the tires, it was the control arms. The problem has been gone ever since I changed the arms. Don't know if this will help, but good luck.
So yours was really bouncy and had for lack of a better term, a lot of body roll? Did it still drive straight? Did the back end do the same thing? I checked all my front end parts this morning and all are good and tight. I was thinking that new springs all the way around would help, so I would go ahead and do a 3" lift. What kind of control arms did you put on, were they stock or do you have a lift with replacement control arms and where did you get them and the bushings? Did you do anything to the back end?
Thanks!

TRE's
Stablizer
Ball joints
Sway Bar bushings.
Leaf Springs shot. (could have been used to tow)

Juice

juicexj24 said:
TRE's
Stablizer
Ball joints
Sway Bar bushings.
Leaf Springs shot. (could have been used to tow)

Juice
I checked out the front end today and the TRE's , ball joints are good, no play. I'm going to replace the stabilizer. The sway bar bushings are alright also and I don't think it was used to tow, no hitch or evidence of one, but I'm thinking the leaf springs could be shot anyway.

Mike

My sequence of events went like this.
1st. I had some shaking going on.
2nd put on 3" lift but still had the shaking. But it was firm and swaying was gone
3rd put on 31" super swampers shaking left for a little while but returned.
4th put in 2"spacers on top of front lift and block in the back. Also put in New control arms, upper and lower with poly bushings. Control arms are all adjustable and the bushings are energy suspension. The shaking was gone and the swaying from left to right was also gone. It is a little bit stiff with the poly bushings. I am thinking about putting in rubber bushings now. As for my arms they are rustys and I got them from another member of NAXJA off the for sale forum. Hope this gives and idea of what worked for me. If I can help let me know. Where you located at in this world of ours?

i had the same problem as you about three years ago. i went with rusty's 3 inch lift with rear spring packs and RE adj. lower control arms and adj. track bar. i couldnt be happier. rusty's lift works for me. i dont do any hard core wheeling.

new springs drastically helped the ride and contol arms cured the steering wander. i also adjusted the steering box to take some of the slop out. ive had no problems with it in 3 years, but again, i dont beat the crap out of it.

family XJ said:
My sequence of events went like this.
1st. I had some shaking going on.
2nd put on 3" lift but still had the shaking. But it was firm and swaying was gone
3rd put on 31" super swampers shaking left for a little while but returned.
4th put in 2"spacers on top of front lift and block in the back. Also put in New control arms, upper and lower with poly bushings. Control arms are all adjustable and the bushings are energy suspension. The shaking was gone and the swaying from left to right was also gone. It is a little bit stiff with the poly bushings. I am thinking about putting in rubber bushings now. As for my arms they are rustys and I got them from another member of NAXJA off the for sale forum. Hope this gives and idea of what worked for me. If I can help let me know. Where you located at in this world of ours?
Aside from the swaying, it drives great, no shaking or vibes. From what I've been reading, it sounds like replacing the springs will help a lot. The wife doesn't like the ride either, so this gives me a good excuse to go with the lift. :) I'll either go with RE or Rusty's and make sure I replace the control arms too. What's the advantage of an adj. track bar and how do you adj it and when? I'm in Missouri, where are you at? Thanks for the help!
Mike

What's the advantage of an adj. track bar and how do you adj it and when? I'm in Missouri, where are you at? Thanks for the help!

adjustable track bar will center the axle. when you put a lift on it will move/shift the axle towards the drivers side. some people redrill the track bar mount to move it over. you adjust the track bar after the lift is on. have someone slighlty turn the wheels with the track bar disconnected at the frame mount. this will move the axle back to center. then adjust the track bar to the correct length and connect.

Back