• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 Questions, PLEASE HELP

Mich88XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I got two questions for you. My hub took a crap on the way home from college and I drove it home like 15 miles really slow. Anyhow, there wasn't a lot of damage done other than needing a brake job, but the mounting bracket for the caliper was ground away at pretty good, and lost about a 1/4" of thickness. I don't really want to go to a dealer and get raped paying for a new one. Does anyone know where I can get a new one? My second question is about removing a bumper. I am installing a new bumper, and I removed the 3 bolts on each of the mounting brackets that bolt to the frame, yet my bumper still doesn't want to come off. As far as my hanes manual says, this is all that needs to be removed, yet it still wont come off. Did I miss anything, or do I just need to bang on it a little more. Thanks!

If you have the stock tow hooks, the bumper bracket is welded to the extra strap running farther back on the frame.

Mich88XJ said:
I don't really want to go to a dealer and get raped paying for a new one. Does anyone know where I can get a new one?
To my knowledge, the only place to get a new one is at the dealer. You may be able to get a used one at junk yard. Some junk yard dealers won't seperate components off of a good axle. Don't blow off the dealer, I've found that sometimes the cost of their parts is very reasonable. At least call and find out how much they are at the dealer. That way you will know what a fair price for a used one would be. I've had junk yard dealers try to sell me a used part for nearly the same price as a new one. Without the knowledge of the new price, I would have been ripped off.

My second question is about removing a bumper.
To remove the stock bumper, I would remove the two torx bolts on the inside of the bumper that attach the bumper to the bracket and the one bolt from the bracket to the lower edge of the bumper. Don't forget to remove the the two 10mm screws securing the vacuum bulb to the inside of the bumper on the passenger side.

RR3

Hey Mich88 I live in Grant (north of GR) and the local boneyard has an 88 that is complete. you can get the stuff reasonable from them if you're close. Coles Auto Parts in Grant. If they want to sell the whole axle let me know, I could always use more parts!! :rof:

used would probably do the trick but there are new ones available from several other sourse like auotozone and advance auto.. even quadratec.. q-tec lists it for around 129.00.. as much of a PIA it is to do i would go new so it wont be any question of how long it will last.. i dont quite understand how the hub "went bad" all of a sudden.. did it spit out some bearings and get loose on you? it's a relatively easy job if you have mechanical ability and basic tools.. some hard pounding with a BFH but nothing too difficult..
mike

Which side was it? I might have one lying around. If it's the right one and I can actually find it, you can have it for shipping.
That would be awesome if you had one. It is the passenger side that is bad, and seeing as I am broke being a college student and all, you would be saving my butt. Let me know, I can paypal the money right away.
I thought that he was looking for a new caliper mounting bracket, not a hub.
i dont quite understand how the hub "went bad" all of a sudden.. did it spit out some bearings and get loose on you?
Yeah, it is the bracket I am looking for, the hub I already have. The hub was going bad before I decided to drive home, but since I had no place or time to work on it up at school, I decided to chance driving it home. Basically, the nut on the stub shaft came lose before and wore it out, but I torqued it down to specs and rid myself of the wobble, so I tried making it home. I would have too if it wasn't for missing my exit and having to back track. Oh well that is in hind sight.

As for the bumper, I do have the chrome tow hooks on there. I am not sure if they are stock or not. I guess I will try and remove them and give it a shot. I did remove the vacuum canister. I do not have any torx bits lying around here, so I might have to pick a set up if it is necessary to remove them to take the bumper off. Thanks! Christian

Mich88XJ said:
That would be awesome if you had one. It is the passenger side that is bad, and seeing as I am broke being a college student and all, you would be saving my butt. Let me know, I can paypal the money right away.

I am pretty sure the one I have loose is a left, but I'll check in the morning to see if I can find it, or see if the one on the axle is reachable under the snow.

If for some reason I forget and don't post back by tomorrow evening, nag me back channel ([email protected]).

Matthew Currie said:
I am pretty sure the one I have loose is a left, but I'll check in the morning to see if I can find it, or see if the one on the axle is reachable under the snow.

If for some reason I forget and don't post back by tomorrow evening, nag me back channel ([email protected]).

If you have to dig for it, I can always repay you for your troubles if you would like. Thanks, Christian
BTW, where are you located at, I am in Michigan, so I thought maybe you might be in the state.

I just called the dealership to see about getting one new in case you couldn't dig one out, and he said that on an 88 they are the same for both sides it doesn't matter. I looked, and they are symmetrical, so any one that you have off now will work. I think maybe I will email this to you just in case you don't check on here before you go crawling in the snow. Thanks!

many times you can use a allen wrench on the torx bolts, try that before you buy the tool, however with a Jeep you'll always need torx wrenches.

if your bumper is bent at all, it may just need to be forced off, but the 6 bolts should get the job done, it's been so long sence I've had a stock bumper I can't remember.

Yeah, it is bent, I was having a little fun with the first snow of the season, and after powersliding through a parking lot, I tried to straighten it out to drive through one of the teller lanes at the bank, and instead of wanting to straighten out when I got on the gas, it sent it foreward straight into a cement post! DOH! Just when I was thinking about selling it too. Oh well, I was pounding on it and it moved about a quarter of an inch, but I can stand on the darned thing and it doesn't move, so I just wondered. Thanks!

Back