• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rusty throttle cable pivot?

jamesf

NAXJA Forum User
Hi folks...we had a bizarre twilight zone "humidity storm" here in the Boston area this September. Ironically I was in Seattle when this happened. When I returned, my leather motorcycle gear was mildewed, my basement was dank, and my '90 Laredo had severe rust on anything that could rust, mostly under the hood.

One casualty was the throttle cable pivot that mounts to the exhaust manifold (I think). The cable comes from the pedla, attaches to rhis pivot, then a second cable runs from the other side of the pivot up to the throttle. This pivot has rusted so that the throttle sticks open. All attempts to soak it with wd40 and each of the 400 various oils and greases I have laying around have resulted in a one-day loosening at best. Then it's back to sticky.

Has anyone seen this before? Is it worth pulling off the bracket to try and loosen this up? Chrysler doesn't make this part anymore, and there are none at any dealer according to the dealer I went to.

thanks,
jim

This happened on my daughter's 87, with the additon that the pivot was pretty badly worn. It kept hanging up and causing a fast idle. She was about to sell it, and I found that I couldn't get the stupid torx bolts out without more exertion than it was worth, so I lubed the **** out of it and then added a spring to the linkage. I can't remember now exactly where I hooked it, but it was a softish spring about 3 inches long with one end hooked over one of the ball joints in the linkage, and the other to a suitable anchor.

If you can get the bolts out, then I would suggest you do it, and take the linkage apart and do it right, but if you can't, the extra spring works better than nothing.

I had a spare, but it went with the Jeep when she sold it. Too bad.

Happpened to my 89....a little scary.

Disconnect the linkage from the throttle body, lube heavily with a penetrant type of oil and move the linkage back and forth for about 5 minutes while spraying a couple more times. After it is nice and loose, oil with a 30 weight oil. Reconnect the linkage to the throttle body and drive it for a few days. Spray it good with lithium grease or even better...molybdenum disulfide (great stuff for linkages by the way).

Good luck,
Jay in MA

jamesf said:
Hi folks...we had a bizarre twilight zone "humidity storm" here in the Boston area this September. Ironically I was in Seattle when this happened. When I returned, my leather motorcycle gear was mildewed, my basement was dank, and my '90 Laredo had severe rust on anything that could rust, mostly under the hood.

One casualty was the throttle cable pivot that mounts to the exhaust manifold (I think). The cable comes from the pedla, attaches to rhis pivot, then a second cable runs from the other side of the pivot up to the throttle. This pivot has rusted so that the throttle sticks open. All attempts to soak it with wd40 and each of the 400 various oils and greases I have laying around have resulted in a one-day loosening at best. Then it's back to sticky.

Has anyone seen this before? Is it worth pulling off the bracket to try and loosen this up? Chrysler doesn't make this part anymore, and there are none at any dealer according to the dealer I went to.

thanks,
jim

Well, I went out there today and it freed easily from the stuck position and didn't stick any more. I hit it with some motorcycle chain lube and will drive it a bit. Thanks for the replies, it's comforting knowing I'm not alone with these bizarre problems :)

jim

Back