• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheel/tire question, nonhuge size

ChuckstrPT

NAXJA Member #791
Ok, I've got a question for you experienced Jeepers out there:
Is it worth the extra money for 16's???
Some of the reason's I'm considering it:
Very much dual purpose rig, mostly on the street, but also would like to work up to some medium to serious trails.
Seems to be more variety of 16 inch tires in the 31 to 33 inch range--
245/75/16 -31x9.00
255/70/16 -30x10.00
265/75/16 -<32x10.50
285/75/16 -33x11.00
295/75/16 - 34x11.50
305/70/16 - 33x12.50
With 15's it's either 31x10.50/15, 32x11.50/15, or 33x12.50/15
I really don't see going over 33 inches in the near future
Theoretically, the slightly shorter sidewall should give better performance onroad, and they are tall enough, with enough sidewall to be helpful off road.
The extra cost seems to be about 15 or more per wheel, and 15-50 per tire.........
Is it worth it???
Any input is appreciated!

I'm planning on 16's for mine for all the reasons you stated, plus it will give me more room for brake or steering mods in the future.

xj92 said:
I'm planning on 16's for mine for all the reasons you stated, plus it will give me more room for brake or steering mods in the future.
Speaking of brakes....is there a front brake upgrade that doesn't cost a grand, but still provides significantly improved braking??? Most big brake kits include bigger discs and calipers. I think the real expense comes with the rotors. Is there another D30 application that comes with larger discs???

I'm running 285/75/16 Trxus on 5.9 limited (ultra star) wheels 5" BS they perform very good on the street and on the trail, This is my DD so I needed good on road performance. These are the best tires I've had yet Compaired to BG A/T, BG M/T, Mud kings, GY AT/S, GY MT/R. I'm running WJ front brakes and steering, so this is why I went to 16" and now I won't go back. Speaking of brakes, I put my conversion together for around $300. Most jeep dealers will give you old calipers for a WJ because of the TSB to swap out the front calipers, And I had wheel bearing, caliper spacers made at a machine shop for $80, and I bought some tubing and rod ends for making the tie rods and I had to buy factory WJ tie rod ends. I bought some aftermarket rotors and drilled them out to 5 on 4.5. Chris

JP tech said:
I'm running 285/75/16 Trxus on 5.9 limited (ultra star) wheels 5" BS they perform very good on the street and on the trail, This is my DD so I needed good on road performance.
you got a pic of that wheel/tire combo?

Back