• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where's the cheapest place for a new fuel pump?

June

NAXJA Forum User
My fuel pump died on my 96 XJ and I'm getting outrageous quotes of $275-$325 for a new one from places like Autozone and Pepboys. And every other place I call tells me it's a dealer item only. Any place that has a reasonable price out there online? This is nuts.

Also I called Advance Auto and they said they didn't carry the entire sending unit but would be able to order a 3 month pump for $89 and a year warranty pump for $125.

Can you just replace the pump? I was under the impression you could only purchase the entire sending unit. Can I just buy the pump and replace it on the sending unit?

Any help would be great. Lucky I'm on vacation next week so it's not a horrible rush. Thanks.

June

IMOHO.Your already in the tank,makes sense to me to go ahead and change it all out while you've got everything out.
I priced a pump here at the local Auto Zone,$77.n some change think they said lifetime warranty but not sure.SOME PLACES DO NOT MENTION THAT YOU NEED TO CHANGE THE FILTER OR SCREEN TO THE PUMP,IF YOU DON'T
THEY WILL NOT HONOR THE WARRANTY,so you might want change the whole set up,pump,sending unit,and screen.Don't know bout some peoples luck,but mine used to screw me up,I do not take any chances,.
( Filter/screen meaning the one that is in the tank)

Having replaced two pumps in my 96,the price quotes very good.The recon. MOPAR pump came with a 1 yr replacement warrenty.
The NAPA or autozone cheapies were the PUMP only.You have to tear your assembly apart and R&R the pump motor.
With the MOPAR unit you just stick it in and button it up.be sure the electrical connections are good and you get an tank O-ring included.
Wayne

slight thread hijack~
When you have to drop the tank to replace this stuff, where should you put remaining gas? how do you get it out? Syphon?
~End hijack. Continue with the feature presentation.

Cheapest place for a pump = Autozone.
"Cheapest" pump = Autozone.
I have replaced many parts on my XJs (3) with the cheapest parts available. Trust me - the Autozone fuel pump sucks! I’ve replaced four of them. They all failed. I finally bit the bullet and got one from the stealership. The original unit was made by Bosch, so if you can find one of those somewhere else, then go for it. It's like the difference between a Yugo engine and Porsche engine.
---
About the installation:
No, you don’t need a new sender unit unless one of the tubes has broken away from the mounting plate. You will need a new strainer – the trick is getting the notch on the bottom of the strainer to line up with the notch holder inside of the bottom of the tank.
I would also recommend replacing the fuel filter too.
---
imma honky : You don’t have to drop the tank – even though the manual says that you do. If you have about ¼ tank full of gas, you don’t need to siphon any more out.
WARNING: Make sure you wear protective goggles. I know from experience (Yikes!) that gas in the eyes feels like napalm – flushing with water doesn’t make the burning feeling go away.

Thanks for the info fella's. I'm gonna shop around for a new pump. Thanks.

June said:
Thanks for the info fella's. I'm gonna shop around for a new pump. Thanks.
I replaced the fuel pump on my 93 and everyone is right. Don't get a cheapie from Auto Zone or the parts stores. It's just the pump and not the assembly and doesn't even wire up the same as the stock. I ended up getting an entire assembly from Car Parts.com which ended up being J.C. Whitney for $120. It was the whole thing. I had to bend it a little to get it to drop in without hitting the inside of the tank. I wish I would have gotten one from the dealership now, because it's very noisey. It might be vibrating on the side of the tank, maybe I didn't get it bent far enough but it's very noisey, but it works. You also don't have to drop the tank, it mounts on the side at the top. Hope this helps.
Mike

I have a similar problem. But it is not my fuel pump but my sending unit that has gone bad. How much is the whole assembly from the dealer>

Back