• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coil Over Thread

Matt S.

NAXJA Forum User
Ok hopefully we can get some good info in here.

I guess we can start with questions and let it go.

If I go and shell out a BUTT load of money for these things, are they going to wear out faster than a more traditional spring? What would happen if you ran just coilovers in the rear? Is this something worth builing upon?

Lets get some more questions from those who have been wondering about them as well.

MATT

UnknownScrap said:
What would happen if you ran just coilovers in the rear? Is this something worth builing upon?
I dunno, ask this guy...
picture.JPG

...from what I saw it seemed to work fine.

Jes

I'm running Hypercoil & Eibach coils. The Hypercoils are guaranteed not to loose more than 1% of their spring rate FOR LIFE! I'm not sure what the Eibach guarantee is, but it's similar.

Try getting RE to take back your sagging XJ or ZJ coils.....

I will go Eibach coils ( if Fullsizexj ever gets back on me :D ) and it seems to me that i will go for the rear first. I got some serious axle warp with those big meats and the real low gearing i have (5.86) so i will start with the rear.

Depending on where you buy your setup from, you can get a lifetime swap deal.
Im sure there is some fine print but Mike @ bent and twisted says I can send my springs in anytime for new ones. I went with 250/250 based on his recomendation. Which is fine with me, because just like fullsizexj, There will be plenty of fine tuning afterwards, but to have springs in place is the only way to fab it up. I have the Sway a Way springs (I think)

THE_OWL said:
Depending on where you buy your setup from, you can get a lifetime swap deal.
Im sure there is some fine print but Mike @ bent and twisted says I can send my springs in anytime for new ones. I went with 250/250 based on his recomendation. Which is fine with me, because just like fullsizexj, There will be plenty of fine tuning afterwards, but to have springs in place is the only way to fab it up. I have the Sway a Way springs (I think)

The fine print is that you have to send them back in UNUSED condition, which means NO SCRATCHES. So yes, you can exchange them until you actually put them on your rig & go wheel it, after that good luck. When the coil binds at full stuff it usually rubs the inner threaded shock body & will scratch the finish off the coils, full droop will scratch up the ends of the coils too.

Got any pics of your install Eagle?

Ok, so they will work just in the rear. Thanks Jes. I have only been in a buggy with coil overs, and I HATED driving the thing from the trailer to the trail. had to go like 3 mph. Are these things ganna work on street??

Matt

Jes said:
I dunno, ask this guy...
picture.JPG

...from what I saw it seemed to work fine.

Jes

It might work, but that vehicle is defiantly not street legal for driving on Utah’s roads :nono:

I drive mine to work a couple times a week @ 70 on California freeways with no swaybars. The coilovers work great, it's the bias ply 38s and my out of round unbalanced front driveshaft that's the problem.

Why would you think they wouldn't work on the front? :confused:

Here's something for you guys. While in the process of putting parts together for my coilover conversion i contacted the european distributor of FOX for a quote. As some of you know i have a 4x4 shop and so i asked for dealer pricing.

They wanted 526 EUROS for one single 2" shock w/o reservoir plus tax. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Do they think i'm stupid or what? :dunno:

Sorry, just had to vent.

No I think they would work GREAT on the front! But I am planning on MAYBE 3"s of lift :shhh: So unless there are coil overs that will fit in that tight little space in the front, they are out. I can remove metal from the back to fit the coil overs.

Do coilovers come in small packages, with lots of travel?

MATT

Back