• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lifting a 91 Cherokee

TB-XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Okay I've already got my rear spring pack (Dakota leafs) and I scored some Rusty's 4.5 lift coils for the front. Now that I am gathering parts for my upcoming lift once it gets warmer, what else do I need to address?

With 4.5 inches of lift (not going any higher) do I need to purchase extended brakes lines F/R, do I need upper/lower control arms? Should I do a T-case drop or do I need a SYE or a extended slip yoke? What about long arms, do they do basically the same thing as lower control arms?

This the first time I have lifted a Cherokee and I'm a little confused since I've never dealt with this kind of front end, I've also never built a spring pack before so any help/tips would be appreciated.

THANKS!

Hey TB,
I have a 91 with 4.5" lift. I would say you will definitely want to go with longer brake lines. I personally wouldn't pay the bucks for SS, get the wrangler lines that are longer. I can get you the part numbers if you need them. SYE is the way to go, but pricey. You can probably get by with a T-case drop for now, though. I think you can live with your stock UCA's, but may want to go with longer LCA's.
I'm sure someone will chime in with some other suggestions.
HTH,
T

Yeah I would like to get those Wrangler brake line part #'s from you, I have never liked the stainless steel lines. Does anyone sell cheaper aftermarket rubber lines? I would imagine the Wrangler lines are pretty pricey new.

Anyone else have any opinions/advice/tips/tricks for lifting a 91 XJ?

TB-XJ said:
Cool thanks for the info. I notice is says only one Wrangler rear line, I would need 2 wouldn't I?

:piratefla
Nope, there is just the one line in the rear. Look under your rig and you'll see what I mean.

I have a 91 xj as well with 4.5 inches of lift, iv gota t-case drop, stock arms, but i do have extended rear brake lines... and i dont haVe any problems on/off road

I have a 91 XJ, 4.5" lift with 2" front spacers and rear shackles for about 6-6.5" of lift & 33's.

I have a 1" transfer case drop, stock driveline setup, and no vibration (AX-15 transmission). You won't need the SYE, but if you have $ to spend it's a nice upgrade.

You will need longer shocks front and rear as well as longer brake lines.

My lift came with lower fixed control arms, and I still have the stock uppers. I don't see a huge advantage to replacing controls arms unless you are going long arm or have damage to your stock arms. Adjustable upper control arms will allow more caster adjustment, but you shouldn't have caster issues. Aftermarket fixed arms are the same length as stock, but are normally stronger. Again, a good component to replace, but it's not like it can't wait depending on how much $ you want to spend right away.

You will need an adjustable trackbar for the front. Just about anyone that sells suspension components for XJ's will be able to hook you up with one.

You'll also want to get extended sway bar links, or quick disconnects, depending on your budget. Your stock links probably won't reach with the lift, and you don't want to drive on-road with them disconnected.

Hi Grasseater,
Just curious, what are you running for gears with those 33's?
I have 31's with my 4.10's but would like to move up to 32's at least.
T

trekker said:
Hi Grasseater,
Just curious, what are you running for gears with those 33's?
I have 31's with my 4.10's but would like to move up to 32's at least.
T

Stock 3.07 right now, with 4.56's in the closet waiting to be installed. In my humble opinion, 4.10's should be o.k. with 32's or even 33's. Definitely better than 3.07's!

I have a 91' with the BDS 3.5 kit. After doing well over 50+ lifts in my short lifetime, this was by far the hardest, most aggravating lift I had EVER done. Ever bolt on my XJ was rusted, then they broke, and had to be cut, drilled, torched, plasma cut, pulled, or extracted in some way. A lift that was supposed to take me a weekend to install and have enough time to work the bugs out, ended up taking me a week to install.

Make sure you spray ALL the bolts down with a few bottles of PB BLASTER. I went through 12 total all said and done.

GOODLUCK! and take your time!
TOEHEAD

Back