• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Aussie in a D30 - good/bad?

andyr354

NAXJA Forum User
Thinking of getting an Aussie for the D30 in my 89. It has a disco 30 in it now, but I may be putting in a non disco unit first.

With the 32x10.50 TSLs will the D30 hold up ok locked with stock shafts?

If I run the non disco unit with my welded rear will I run into any highway driveability problems? Or any trail problems?

If you are currently running the disco style front axle your front driveshaft is not spinning while driving in 2wd. Installing the Aussie Locker will cause the front shaft to spin at all times which could cause vibrations if your front shaft is not balanced. A good way to check this is to drive in 4wd at higher speeds and see if you notice any vibes from the front end. If you don't your front shaft should be fine.

As for driveability, I've been running one for a couple months now and it is pretty much invisibile. It is much quieter than the lockright I have in in the rear and it disengages nicely as well. Off-road it works the same as any locking diff.

As for your 32" TSL's...normally I'd say if you're pretty good with your junk a 32" tire would handle being locked on the Dana 30 but since those TSL's have big deep lugs there is a good chance of breaking a u-joint if you run the stock 260 style. So, I'd say upgrade to some 297 shafts if you can just to be on the safe side.

As an example, I ran some 80% worn 33" BFG MT's with an open dana 30 on 260 joints and never broke one...I locked that same setup and starting popping u-joints. I now run 33" TSL's locked with 297 joints and I have yet to break one.

Cheers!

I am looking at the same thing...for a 96 country what needs to be done to swap in 297's? are they just a straight swap or do i need new shafts?

you will need new shafts, stub shafts, and the inner axle seal if you're converting from a disco D30 to 297 joints.

I've got an aussie in a non-disco d30. The clicking when cornering kinda gets on my nerves but I don't notice it otherwise on the street. I think the Aussies quietness is over touted. If ya wan't a quiet lunchbox get a no-slip. I've got one in the back and it makes no noise. The Aussie works good on the trails though. I would not expect you to notice any difference in drivability on the street from what you currently have when in 2wd.

I've never had a lock rite. Are they really that much louder?

i really don't notice mine on the street, but maybe that just cause my tires rub and i mistake the noise. i love it mine tho. no ntoiceable affect ons treet, unless i'm driving in snow, in whichcase there is ntoicable torquesteer although i'm sure thats the case with any frontlocker. my mind, for the money, its a great way to go.

96xjeeper said:
I am looking at the same thing...for a 96 country what needs to be done to swap in 297's? are they just a straight swap or do i need new shafts?

You should have 297's in there already OEM. 95-1/2' was the year that the dana 30 went from 260's to 297's. Also I believe all abs rigs had 297's even in early years (91' & on).

Back