• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil pressure fluctuation

Hobby

NAXJA Forum User
What is going on? The other day I was driving down the highway at about 70mph and the oil pressure started rising and within about 10 seconds it was pegged at the 80psi mark. I thought that couldn't be right so I continued driving while monitoring the temp gauge just to be sure and it didn't move. Just to be safe I pulled over shortly after and shut down, checked everything out and restarted the jeep. Oil pressure indicated normal. Everything was fine until it happend again about 4 days after that. Shut down and everything was normal after restart. Tonight though I was driving and it dropped to 0 on the gauge and the check gauges light came on. This time I didn't continue driving, I shut down immediately and coasted to the side. Restared and it came back to normal. Is this a sending unit problem or something I should really check out? Jeep is a 2000 with 49,000 on the 4.0. I run mobil 1 synthetic with a mobil 1 filter. Normal oil pressure on the jeep is about 50psi and will idle at about 30 if it is warm, idles at about 40 if not warm.

Thanks

Back