• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Opinions on Bumper and Winch

MudSlinger

NAXJA Forum User
Help on Choice Of Bumper and Winch

O.K I'm going to buy a winch and bumper and need some feed back on which one to get.

Spec's on my jeep are as follow's:
88 Jeep Cherokee Chief
4.0L
3 inch lift
31 inch super swapper tires (Changing to 31 inch A/T tires)

Will be adding the following at time of winch/bumper install:
Adjustable Coil spacer and Heavy duty lift shackles from Rocky Road Outfitters.

I don't do the radical stuff just the 4x4 trails that stock 4x4's won't go on.

What kind of winch would i need ? Or is there a bumper and winch combo out there that has a bumper like in the ulr below?
We are also looking to find a roof rack and a rear bumper that will carry 2-3 gas cans .Any one know of a few nice ones to choose from?

http://www.4wheelerssupply.com/Products_00042/index.html

Thanks For Your Help

Last edited:
Look at 4 Wheel Parts, they are just having a deal on Milemarker electric winches at 450 for the 9000 winch.

XJoachim said:
Look at 4 Wheel Parts, they are just having a deal on Milemarker electric winches at 450 for the 9000 winch.
here's something a little different from the norm. check out http://www.wnccustomjeeps.com/whatwedo.htm it works well with the non integrated winches. never tried a MM though. It should fit perfectly. This pic is kinda old. The newest version is all laser cut, and generally improved. DAve

Changing from Swampers to AT's and adding a winch? Sounds a little backwards. Most would go from AT's to Swampers and a winch :dunno:

Get a strap, tow hooks, high lift jack, shovel, decend skid plate, maybe a come-a-long, and put the rest of the money you just saved in your pocket.

For the type of driving your doing I can't see spending upwards of a grand on a winch/bumber set up, unless of course your going for "the look".

Just an opinion. Good luck.

Mojo Troll said:
Changing from Swampers to AT's and adding a winch? Sounds a little backwards. Most would go from AT's to Swampers and a winch :dunno:

Get a strap, tow hooks, high lift jack, shovel, decend skid plate, maybe a come-a-long, and put the rest of the money you just saved in your pocket.

For the type of driving your doing I can't see spending upwards of a grand on a winch/bumber set up, unless of course your going for "the look".

Just an opinion. Good luck.

I agree w/ Mojo. My come-a-long and High lift have gotten me out of some of the worst stucks I've ever seen. I would save your money and armor up or save for a :lock:er. Let one of your well-to-do buddies buy the winch. I know I can't afford one. Just my .02. Can I get change? :laugh3:

check this guy out... he's got some excellent hardware...
http://ajsoffroadarmor.com/
i kinda dig the new WARN bumpers in the newest QUADRATEC book.. mile marker is a long-time name in the winch industry.. just not so much in the civilian market, they supply tons of equipment to the military for their vehicles.. pricing is very competitive but i don't know much about their reliability and weaknesses....
some better armor and a hi-lift sonds like a good idea regardless of if you get a winch or not..
mike

I run a Warn M8000 and an Olympic rock winch front bumper. That's about as low budget as you can get with a decent winch. I went through 3 (yes THREE) milemarker E8000 winches (solenoid kept burning out). You can find the M8000 for about $500 and the olympic bumper at Quadratec for $369. I don't know if you can get much more for under $1000 new. The 8000 lb winch will get you out, but don't plan on saving any 1-ton pickups stuck in deep mud with it.

The reason for tire swap is MILEAGE. Swampers I put on in July are already getting worn. We go up about every weekend to the Pine Flat area. Yes they are a good tire for the off road but not a long life on pavement to get to the trails.The wife wrote the first message and put A/t when it should have been M/T tires. For the reason of the winch and bumper is I don't want to get stuck with the wife and kids in the back country (A pisted off wife is no fun to deal with and no place to hide). We enjoy going to the places that no one else goes to. Off the beaten path you can say. We go solo since we don't know others with 4x4's in our circle of friends (mini vans,hondas olds and a old bmw). I can't say they would make it on the trails without leaving a trail of parts..(ummm now that could make them get a 4x4) O.K look, their way of camping is a cabin or hotel room. If I had friends with REAL vehicles (JEEP XJ) then I might not need a winch.

MudSlinger said:
The reason for tire swap is MILEAGE. Swampers I put on in July are already getting worn. We go up about every weekend to the Pine Flat area. Yes they are a good tire for the off road but not a long life on pavement to get to the trails.The wife wrote the first message and put A/t when it should have been M/T tires. For the reason of the winch and bumper is I don't want to get stuck with the wife and kids in the back country (A pisted off wife is no fun to deal with and no place to hide). We enjoy going to the places that no one else goes to. Off the beaten path you can say. We go solo since we don't know others with 4x4's in our circle of friends (mini vans,hondas olds and a old bmw). I can't say they would make it on the trails without leaving a trail of parts..(ummm now that could make them get a 4x4) O.K look, their way of camping is a cabin or hotel room. If I had friends with REAL vehicles (JEEP XJ) then I might not need a winch.

MS, sounds like you've got it figured out for what you have to do. Sucks when you can't find anybody to go and explore with. I wouldn't scrimp on the bumper too much. Mainly, just make sure that the "box" around the winch is sound. As far as winches, WARN, WARN, WARN, WARN. The 8000# can be had for pretty much the same as a 6000# so might as well have some piece of mind. I see decent used warn stuff on ebay all the time. Maybe save some money on a used winch and step up on the bumper, especially since it may save your family from an unforseen incident on the road or off ( deer, drunks, trees......)

Sean

You might check with 4 Wheel Parts. They have a ARB bull bar with Warn 8000 winch combo for right around $1000.

Rusty's is have a "scratch and dent" sale on ARB bumpers right now. $550 buys you one.

Back