• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Things that make it go...bang!

G.Q. Jeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Everyone:

I would like to get an Idea on what the problem might be with my 1994 XJ, its a 4.0L H.O. 5 sp, all stock (for now), when I bought it 1 month ago, I knew it needed front U-Joints, they were squeeky all the time and made some funky noises when engaged in 4WD, now a few days ago I noticed my center cap was gone (right side) and when I turn right, the Jeep makes a loud banging knocking noise and feels as if the wheel came off, I looked underneath and saw nothing, and the wheel is a bit loose, however the wheel nuts are tight.

Any guesses at what it maybe before I take it in to get fixed??

Any help would be so much appreciated!!!

Jeff

sounds like a cv joint. brothers mazda made the same sound, and a new cv joint fixed it.

Did you have the Ujoints replaced?

Are you saying the ujoint cap is missing? That will make a noise.

When you say your wheel is loose...you may have a hub problem. The bearings may be shot, or the hub nut/bolts are loose. :scared:

It also could be a failing front hub.

It'll probably take 2 people to figure out what's loose. Jack up the wheel and have your buddy wiggle it while you look in from the backside to see what's wobbling.

thanks for the suggestions, knowing my luck it is all of the above!!!

The Center Cap on the Wheel is missing <--same side as the noise

I have not replaced anything yet, they told me that the U-Joints were shot though at the time I bought it. Like the saying goes, Jeeps do not break down they only offer you a chance to upgrade!!!!LOL

hope this helps out more,

Jeff

Back