• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axle advice

ZachMan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
I want to swap out my axles on my 2000 (I'm on 35s). I personally have no experience in building or fixing axles. I feel like I need to learn trail repairs, but the whole reason for the sawp is for no axle breakage, which I do understand anything can break when pushed hard enough. So does anyone have any advice on this subject?

I would hate to one of the guys who just calls Currie or Dynatrac and orders a set of axles. I really don't have the $$$ and I want to be able to repair whatever breaks. Should I just keep running 35s on my 2000s stock axles until I do break a u-joint so then I can learn? I figure thats the best way to learn, but then again I don't want to hold people up on the trail or be stranded w/o someone to help me. So whats the best way to learn to do repairs? It should also help to be able to build my own axles and not pay $10k for a set.

Any advice?

ZachMan said:
I want to swap out my axles on my 2000 (I'm on 35s). I personally have no experience in building or fixing axles. I feel like I need to learn trail repairs, but the whole reason for the sawp is for no axle breakage, which I do understand anything can break when pushed hard enough. So does anyone have any advice on this subject?

I would hate to one of the guys who just calls Currie or Dynatrac and orders a set of axles. I really don't have the $$$ and I want to be able to repair whatever breaks. Should I just keep running 35s on my 2000s stock axles until I do break a u-joint so then I can learn? I figure thats the best way to learn, but then again I don't want to hold people up on the trail or be stranded w/o someone to help me. So whats the best way to learn to do repairs? It should also help to be able to build my own axles and not pay $10k for a set.

Any advice?

Sounds like your a DIY kinda guy. that is good.
But dosent sound like your ready for axle swaps just yet.
Wheel what you got, and carry spares, dont wheel alone, and make sure you have the tools to tear down your axle.

Save up money, tools, and do more research on what kinda axles you want... big or frickn' HUGE.

ashmanjeepxj said:
Sounds like your a DIY kinda guy. that is good.
But dosent sound like your ready for axle swaps just yet.
Wheel what you got, and carry spares, dont wheel alone, and make sure you have the tools to tear down your axle.

Save up money, tools, and do more research on what kinda axles you want... big or frickn' HUGE.

Yeah thats what I am planning, I just hate to polish my turd(s). Paying to re-gear was more than I wanted to spend in the first place, but now people say I need CTMs and WARN hub kit w/ shafts, how much is all that installed? Alot right? I have completly stock axles and I am very light on the go pedal, but I really would like to not worry and get on it more offroad.

I need to hear from people that built their own axles. I'd like to know what all parts and everything I would need to order to make the axles as strong as possible. Ohh, I already have '79 Ford front and rear hp D60s.

I could just send my axles out to get cut down to 65" and then w/ help put everything together and take it to a shop to have them put the brakets on. I figure this is about as cheap as I can go realisticly. Thing is shipping and all that will add up fast, so I figure buying axles wouldn't end up too much more, well the rear atleast. (My dream axles are a Sunray "609" and my rear D60 built)

Last edited:
Ohh, yeah then after the axles I will then have to worry about plating the unibody or tubing a fram and cage to handle the extra stress. Well it never ends....

ZachMan said:
I need to hear from people that built their own axles. I'd like to know what all parts and everything I would need to order to make the axles as strong as possible. Ohh, I already have '79 Ford front and rear hp D60s.

There is no HP ford rear d60?!?
Is it custom? Rear made from a re-tubed ford front?
Its probibly just a standard cut d60 rear.

You dont need d60s for 35in tires!

You can get about $1000 for that ford 79 d60 complete hub to hub in rust bucket shape. Its gonna cost you ALOT to Pay someone to do the swap for you, steering, suspension, drive shafts, your looking at least $1000 in parts, will need new rims and tires, pluss labor. It will cost alot.

Just sell it, get a ford 8.8 rear, and get some one piece shaft spares for that d30. Re gear it, lock it, done.

What rear axle do you have? If it is the 8.25, then you are ok for 35" tires. If anything, order a set of Dutchman alloy shafts and keep your stockers as spares. The nice thing about the 8.25 is that the axle shafts are identical side to side, so you don't need a separate spare for each side, and instead will have two spares. Pulling the stock shafts to replace with alloys will teach you what you need to know for trail breakage. 29 spline alloy shafts are enough for 35's unless you really get on it.

For the front...people wheel the Dana 30 with 35's all the time. You have 297-x u-joints, which is the same as a 44. The bigger problem is ball joints don't tend to last and the housing doesn't have as much rigidity as you'd like for 35" tires, plus you have that little caster vs. pinion angle problem on tall lifts if you spend a lot of time on the road (a set of Warn hubs in 5 on 4.5 pattern takes care of this).

But these issues don't tend to be deal breakers for people who don't like to spend a lot of coin unless you are running the really hardcore stuff. You could buy a set of Warn shafts if you really wanted to...or just carry a set of spares. Learn how to take off the hub and put in a new shaft assembly before you are out on the trail.

I'll give you some advice: don't overthink this thing. I know how to pull a hub and change an axle assembly, and how to change rear axles...but I still bought a Currie high pinion 9" as well as a complete front HP Ford 44. There was ultimately very little to be gained in trying source the parts and do it myself. This is because I run stock width axles and 3.75" backspace rims for more track width (with 34x12.5 tires). Once you are cutting down an axle and rotating the tubes you are having a shop do the work for you. Unless you can install your own gears, you'd might as well let them put in the differential, gears, and shafts unless you have an axle where you are reusing stock parts.

Look at it this way: a custom built Ford 9" housing from Currie is only $200 - $300 (the HP third member is a bit of coin, though). You are going to want a locker, gears, alloy axle shafts and disc brakes whether you use that D60 housing or start with a custom housing. Ford 9" parts tend to be the cheapest around. If you really want to learn, consider buying a custom spec'd Currie housing and high pinion 3rd member, and learn to do the differential, gears, and axles yourself...you can source them through whomever you want and Currie can provide the axle specs...and then you can take all the time you want.

For the front, have a shop cut down the Ford 44 and rotate the pinion to suit your lift, plus weld on mounting brackets (ask a lot of questions on this board before you decide what suspension to run so you don't spend a lot of money on less than perfect brackets) and then do everything else yourself now that you know how to set up a diff.

But as long as you have an 8.25 rear, you shouldn't worry too much offroad, just don't do anything stupid.

Nay

Back