• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lockwood Run

Xjman1

NAXJA Forum User
Trying to gather interest in a Lockwood run for Sunday. There is an abandonded 2wd Ford Ranger up there that needs to be recovered. From what I understand it runs, but we need to get it out. Windshield has already been broken and would like to remove it before it is stripped and a dead weight pull. I know it is the weekend before Christmas, but enviro's take no time of as well. Any takers???

Sorry, I wish I could go and help, but I'm leaving tommorow for Idaho. I'll be back Jan. 10. If it still hasn't happened by then let me know I'll give you a hand.
Chad

chad said:
Sorry, I wish I could go and help, but I'm leaving tommorow for Idaho. I'll be back Jan. 10. If it still hasn't happened by then let me know I'll give you a hand.
Chad

Thanks and have a good trip.I will keep everyone posted if we have to do it another day due to unforseen circumstance or??? Have a safe one.

Shanbo44 said:
My rig can't run lockwood, but if we got a group together to get that ranger out I would help.

shannon

What?? I have guided many a stocker through there :) but if not I will have a seat available if you would like to meet at Flying J or?? There is a possability of snow above 6000' Saturday night so...

Which section of trail is it on? You say it runs, is the owner available, or a key? Details?

This is a tough weekend. Has the Forest Service requested assistance? I could care less about enviros, but it would be much easier to drive it out than haul it out.

As Richard said..d.etails man, details! :D

I'd say there is a 0.001% chance I can do it though, Holly flies out on Monday, so I'll be helping her get ready and all that (plus she wouldn't really care for me to be gone on her last weekend here for a bit..hehe). If there's any way it can be pushed up a week there is a good chance I could do it, that'd be fun and the right thing to do.

Sequoia

Goatman said:
Which section of trail is it on? You say it runs, is the owner available, or a key? Details?

This is a tough weekend. Has the Forest Service requested assistance? I could care less about enviros, but it would be much easier to drive it out than haul it out.

Plan is to drive it out. It has been there quite a while now and the forest service has asked for help to get it removed. We have been told not to touch the rolled tow truck that went in to try and recover it as it has not been declared an abandoned vehicle. Initially the Ford did have keys in it and was in running shape, however last report I had from some friends that saw it Sunday was the windshield was broken out and no keys were to be found, engine appeared to be okay through. I am taking a slide hammer up and plan is to drive it out, if it does not run it will be a trial run day and we will have to DRAG it out another time, and will need more help from the low geared, big boys toys crfowd :)

Wife is not thrilled about me going but I feel the longer it is up there the more the bad apples in our community are going to wreck it and make it harder to recover. Worth a shot to me

GSequoia said:
If there's any way it can be pushed up a week there is a good chance I could do it, that'd be fun and the right thing to do.

Sequoia

May have to if it does not run and/or we do not get enough help. Might get to try my new winch out though

Xjman:
Weather or not you get it out, Thanks for the effort to try to organize a group & a plan to get it out.
See Ya !
Curt (aka Xtreme XJ)

The 2WD Ranger is at Sunset camp on Piru creek at the bottom of the two mile climb up Alamo mountain. Some Yo-Yo's must have drove, slid it down from the top as the Lockwood valley direction, though easier, isn't two wheel drive material. It's been there since the end of summer but has just recently been getting vandalized. Speaking of which I hear the 4x4 recovery truck has been stripped of it's drive train in the last couple of days.
Depends what I get done Saturday if I can help Sunday.

If somebody rolled thier truck trying to get that little ranger out then it seems like its in a really bad spot.

Question....

Why does'nt the owner of the truck get it out? If the owner drove it in there he should get it out himself or pay to get it out.

Also the trail probably has a club sponsoring it. There should be a sign with the club name. They should get it out or do most of the work.

If they don't they should'nt get the privialge to put adopt the trail.

Ray

rpili2001 said:
Question....

Why does'nt the owner of the truck get it out? If the owner drove it in there he should get it out himself or pay to get it out.

Also the trail probably has a club sponsoring it. There should be a sign with the club name. They should get it out or do most of the work.

Ray

Ray, it's Point Magoo (Xjman1 I believe) and the Bakersfield Trailblazers (me) adopt-a-trail. The spot in question is actually on Point Magoo's section of the trail (barely) which I'm sure is why the Forest Service has been in contact with them. This is the first time I have heard about it. Our club was just talking about scheduling a maintenance trip to Miller, but had no knowledge of the Ranger. Of course, I missed the last meeting, so it's possible that they discussed it. The Trailblazers will gladly put a run together to help with the extraction, but we need more lead time.

rpili2001 said:
Question....

Ray

I am with the the club that maintains Lockwood and lately Miller as well, Point Mugu 4X4, just trying to recruit some extra help as holidays are here and many people have plans. We just completed pulling the stripped stolen dead weight Dodge Ramcharger out of there a couple of months ago and now this. Alot of work for a few so all the extra help I can get the better in hopes of getting to it before it is dead weight. And yes since we do ALOT of work up there we do have a sign.

Goatman said:
Ray, it's Point Magoo (Xjman1 I believe) and the Bakersfield Trailblazers (me) adopt-a-trail. The spot in question is actually on Point Magoo's section of the trail (barely) which I'm sure is why the Forest Service has been in contact with them. This is the first time I have heard about it. Our club was just talking about scheduling a maintenance trip to Miller, but had no knowledge of the Ranger. Of course, I missed the last meeting, so it's possible that they discussed it. The Trailblazers will gladly put a run together to help with the extraction, but we need more lead time.

Richard, If we are unable to get to it maybe we can coordinate efforts to help each other with it. I'll let you know how it goes.

Renegade Jpr said:
If somebody rolled thier truck trying to get that little ranger out then it seems like its in a really bad spot.

Not in a bad spot, the recovery vehicle lost brakes apparently on the descent into the camp ground. The steep shale hill just before the creek crossing.
We are not touching the recovery vehicle as the Forest Service has asked we do not. Too bad it is being stripped.

Joe

RobertF said:
Some Yo-Yo's must have drove, slid it down from the top as the Lockwood valley direction, though easier, isn't two wheel drive material. It's been there since the end of summer but has just recently been getting vandalized. Speaking of which I hear the 4x4 recovery truck has been stripped of it's drive train in the last couple of days.

It was driven down Millers by some hunter is the story the Forest Service gave us. Plan was to have it towed out, which the owner tried, but the recovery vehicle rolled. Now the Forest Service has asked Pt.Mugu to assist. Being holiday season we have not been able to get up there and the longer we wait the more difficult it may be. I now it is hard for everyone but if you have an itch for a run why not make it beneficial as well. :)

Back