• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

atlas transfercase on a 99

ericz

NAXJA Lifetime Member
NAXJA Member
Hello,
I have a 99 with a 2.5 inch lift. I am planning to break the 3" barrier, 4.5 most likely.
I am working on my plan for the driveline. An Atlas transfer case is an option for me, however I am concerned with the install and how the twin sticks fit.
I want to know how much of the center console needs to be cut up, does the floor need a bigger hole, is there enough room to shift?
Anyond have any pics of a late model XJ interior with one installed?

Thanks in advance!
Eric

:us:

I don't know exactly on the '99 but on mine I had to cut the hole in the floorboard quite a bit larger and remove about a 4" square from the side of the center console.

Fitment really isn't an issue anymore as AA now makes a late model XJ specific shifter setup. You will have to open up the tranny tunnel shifter hole a little but it isn't a big deal. Also, if you have a manual transmission you may have to use a 1" spacer(free uppon request from AA) and slightly modify the crossmember and tranny mount.
I remember seeing a picture of the newer style interrior somewhere, I'll try to dig it up.

Jes

Here's a pic I found on a disc I had. Don't know who's it is...
Latemodel%20AtlasXJshifters.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Jes,
I would love to see a pic if you find one.
Sounds like it will work. I'm not ready to tear up the interior yet.

opps I see you beat me to it

thanks!

Last edited:
I wish my console looked like that :laugh3:

Maybe someday!!!

-Scott

Check with xman on the board, he just installed a 4.3 in a 98 with a 5spd over the summer. As i recall no mods to floor board, not sure on the trans tunnel, light mods to cross member, Lenthen and shorten the driveshafts, etc. Skid plate with long arms was a small issue as well.
you can send him a PM, he checks the board on a regular basis
Cruzzin_XJ

Also if you have an AW4 I believe you have to trim the output shaft I don't remeber how much though maybe 1/8"-3/4"?

ZachMan said:
Also if you have an AW4 I believe you have to trim the output shaft I don't remeber how much though maybe 1/8"-3/4"?

AW4 you should use the spacer.

This helps with a few things, line up shifter to come up thru the stock console hole, not like the pic above but better. Longer front driveshaft, it get real short compared to stock. Input gear stays in correct alignment for seal on tranny.

mark

ps I'll try to take pics of my shifters and post them.

Ohh ok, Thanks.

Pics would be great, maybe some shots of the atlas itself bolted up?

ZachMan said:
Ohh ok, Thanks.

Pics would be great, maybe some shots of the atlas itself bolted up?

OK, but they are to a NV4500 but the location is the same with the spacer used on a AW4.

Tonight.

mark

Thanks, Jes

Anyone got an Atlas on an Aw4?

I've got a mechanic in my club doing mine right now. It should be done early next week. It's a long story and I could probably do it myself but he's working cheap. I could post some pics then. I have an AW-4 and Claytons long arm crossmember in my '97. We'll see how it comes together.
mattk

Don't let me discourage you...but if you are only going for 3.5" to maybe 4.5" of lift, you aren't going to be that extreme. Simply bolting in a TJ Rubicon case will save you some coin ($1,400 vs. $1,900) and I don't think you'd ever need to extra strength of the Atlas II. For that matter, the 2.72:1 low range is totally sufficient in combination with an AW4 for up to 33" tires...just put on a SYE for your 231 or 242 case.

Nay

Were are you getting a rubicon 241or t/c for that kind of coin! Cheapest I've seen about $1600.00

Nay said:
Don't let me discourage you...but if you are only going for 3.5" to maybe 4.5" of lift, you aren't going to be that extreme. Simply bolting in a TJ Rubicon case will save you some coin ($1,400 vs. $1,900) and I don't think you'd ever need to extra strength of the Atlas II. For that matter, the 2.72:1 low range is totally sufficient in combination with an AW4 for up to 33" tires...just put on a SYE for your 231 or 242 case.

Nay

...sticks...
Shifter.jpg

Jes[/QUOTE]

Heah, Jes, what are those 2 small shifter for on either side of your e brake handle on your center counsil? Are they for OX Trax lockers??? How's your Jeep holding up with the carpet? Do you get it wet alot? I never was able/wanted to keep carpet in my wheeling rig. Heck I sunk my 98' zj dd in water up to my window and had to climb out the window as water came rushing in. Just wondering.
Troy

Back