• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Has anyone turbo charged a 4.0L ?

RER78

NAXJA Forum User
I know some are super charged but I have a turbo left over from building my 2000 Ford F-350 superduty 7.3L diesel. It was too small to begin with so why not use it on the 4.0L ? The motor I have needs to be rebuilt anyhow so proper compression to match that kind of boost I don't think would be a problem. Has anyone done this before and what parts where used ? This engine will be pushing a D70 rear, D44HP front and 38's.

Can't speak for a turbo, but there's a gent in southwestern lower MI (the Bear at http://www.gljt.org) who added a supercharger to his a couple of years ago.

A SuperDuty Turbo is going to have an A/R of about .91, way too large for a 4.0 designed for low end grunt (that is an assumption by me). What you need is an A/R of about .67 or less on the exhaust side, which will spool the turbo very quickly. A Garrett T3/T4 hybrid, with a 55 or 57 trim wheel, or a Toyota CT-26 with similar wheels, would be wonderful for your application. They will provide low end, and be good for about 15 pounds of boost efficiently.

Choosing the turbo is the easy part, packaging it under the crowded hood is the challenge. The way Bear Turbo does it is to run the stock exhaust manifold and downpipe, then curve it back up after it crosses the oilpan. The trubo can be mounted above and behind the oil filter.

Also, you will likely need to think about engine management systems. The Renix system has a fairly wide mapping to it, but the HO system is somewhat more limited. The knock sensor on the Renix really can help with pre-ignition problems sometimes associated with turbos.

I would shoot for 8.4 to 1 compression on the pistons.

CRASH

I was thinking more like 7 or 7.5:1 comp. We used to build drag race vw rabbits with the Garrett T-4 and around 8:1 in a four banger that would put out 250+hp keep in mind of the adjustable waste gates. I found the superduty's turbo wouldn't really "kick-in"(max out) till about 2000rpm which is getting on the high side of a diesel. I'm after that really low end grunt which my diesell now has thanks to a larger turbo and new intake, oh and propane injection soon to come. thanks for the info.

That's going to be too low of a CR, most factory turboed vehicles run around 8.5. Any less than that and you really have to start feeding it massive boost to make any sort of power. Remember, in a 4 wheeler we want a motor that makes torque, even off-boost. If I was building a race motor I could see using low CR numbers, but I don't see it working in this app.

I have a Garrett T-4 in my 6.9 liter Ford diesel, Compressor A/R of .71. It is not wastegated however. It builds power very smoothly, and doesn't have that On/Off feel of a wastegated unit.

I would keep the turbo small, keep boost down around 6 lbs, use pistons that have a reinforced top ring, and get a good EGT guage.

You didn't mention which engine management system you are running?

CRASH
CRASH

Turbo Charging a non turbo vechicle is alot of work, and tuff to get reliable, needs alot of tuning, I agree a turbo of a diesel V8 is going to be way to big definatley would want somthing that is small and going to spool fast for low end power, for off roading, the diesel turbo would be awesome for top end power though, then you have to worry about compression, if your running a smaller turbo you would probably want 8:5:1 pistons, or go lower if you wanna get really boost happy. then theres the fuel system to match all that air, then if you want to do a intercooler, piping, larger exhaust. making it all fit. could be done for a reasonable price if you found a used turbo and used parts, I've have thought of this, my idea was to use the stock twin turbo that comes on the supra. One turbo for lowend power that in return will help the second turbo spool faster. but two turbos just makes it more complicated. But a straight six is a great engine to turbo charge.
Lucas

Doing all the piping isn't an issue. I work with it almost every day on V12 and sometimes V16 Wakeshas and Cats for natural gas compression here in the oilfields of Alberta. As for the engine management I'll try the Renix first with some larger injectors . I heard somewhere that Ford injectors from a mustang would work and are available in lots of different sizes. Maybe even a better fuel pump with an adjustable pressure regulator and guage. The twin turbo unit is cool but yes way too complicated and to try and find one here is impossible. The supra was sold in very limited numbers here in Canada and most of them are race cars now.

I would rather swap in a Toyota 3.0L Inline-6 2JZ-GTE out of a Supra MKIV then you can put a nice middle sized single turbo on it like a T67 p-trim. It would be at full boost at only 3800 rpms and w/ a good tune put down 650+rwhp/600+rwtq. This would be expensive though. :D

Last edited:
A much cheaper option is a 7M-GTE. Very easy to mod, more torque stock than a 4.0, and it's smaller than a 4.0 as well. You can find complete cars with blown HG's in CA for less than $1k.

Very nice motor, and 400 HP/ 400 lb/ft is like $2k in mods.

CRASH

CRASH said:
A much cheaper option is a 7M-GTE. Very easy to mod, more torque stock than a 4.0, and it's smaller than a 4.0 as well. You can find complete cars with blown HG's in CA for less than $1k.

Very nice motor, and 400 HP/ 400 lb/ft is like $2k in mods.

CRASH

What is that engine out of?

You can buy used 2JZ-GTE engine for under $2kw/ stock turbos. I just love these engines because they are bullit proof and can handle 900+rwhp on the stock internals.

turboing a 4L would be pretty simple..

i work on a lot of import cars and such and there's tons of room under the hood of a jeep for a turbo setup.. i don't see why people whine about room.. hhaha.. work under the hood of a dodge stealth for a few minute and you'll appreciate the vast expanses of room around the jeep engine compartment.

the hardest part would be doing the piping.. a few mandrel bends from jc whitney would be needed.. maybe a new exhaust flange and a turbo flange..

use a turbo with an internal wastegate and a 6psi spring.. saves some plumbing hassles..

The motor stock should be able to handle 6-8 psi.. it's pretty stout.. and the compression ratio is only 9:1.. nothing to worry about..i've seen some vehicles run 11:1 static compression and boost.. obvisouly the head isn't as detonation resistant as some modern vehicles.. but again.. it shouldn't be a problem.. and high compression + boost = lotsa torque.. the extra compression really helps the turbo spool..

for a turbo i'd use something with an exhaust A/R of a 0.40-0.60.. choke it up a bit to help it spool.. you don't want to go too big on the exhaust A/R else you'll need to rev higher to get power out of the motor.. you'd get what's affectionally known as lag.. and then a huge surge of power..

other than that.. you want an adjustable boost sensitive fuel pressure regulator.. S-FMU would do the trick.. and some larger injectors.. fords will work just fine.. you probably will need a check valve for the map signal line.. as the computer probably won't know what to do with boost condition and might induce fuel cut.. have to play with it to know.. if the map reads 0 vacuum then it's gonna be running the injectors at more than 80% pulsewidth anyway.. so thats where the presure sensitive FPR comes into play..

and intercooler would be a good idea.. snag one from a volvo or saab or cut down a ford turbo diesel or dodge diesel one.. and you'll need a blow off valve to avoid compressor damage.. the best junkyard units are 1st generation eagle talon/mitsu eclipse..

I'm planning on boosting my XJ late next summer.. 6psi is all it will really need.. and that should be good for about 50-60 extra ft-lbs at the wheels.

-- WheatKing

ZachMan said:
What is that engine out of?

You can buy used 2JZ-GTE engine for under $2kw/ stock turbos. I just love these engines because they are bullit proof and can handle 900+rwhp on the stock internals.

Heres a stock 7M-GTE power map. HTis engine is out of MkIII Supra's. The 7M-GE is a non-turbo version of the same motor.

7m-gte-stock-dyno-s.jpg

Here's lightly modded version (Only mods include a K&N air filter, 3" exhaust, Walbro fuel pump, adjustable FPR, Lex AFM, 60-trim CT26....yes, stock intercooler, stock injectors, no fuel computers):

john_lunsford_dyno.jpg

The MKIII engines a pretty good, but are known for blowing head gasskets badly. The MKIV while more expensive is pretty much bulit proof, plus if you swap in the manual tranny out of one and then you have a bullit proof tranny also. Well were on the same page. :)

Here is a decent dyno of a friends Supra MKIV:

http://www.sp-power.com/images/dynosheets/kenhenderson092503.jpg

ZachMan said:
The MKIII engines a pretty good, but are known for blowing head gasskets badly. The MKIV while more expensive is pretty much bulit proof, plus if you swap in the manual tranny out of one and then you have a bullit proof tranny also. Well were on the same page. :)

Here is a decent dyno of a friends Supra MKIV:

http://www.sp-power.com/images/dynosheets/kenhenderson092503.jpg

Didn't the 4th gen supra use AW-4 auto trannies as well?

and if you want a turbo.. might as well wait for the new liberty diesel if your swapping motors.. i mean.. i wouldn't really want to submerge a supra engine.. however.. a diesel is a whole other ball game :)

WheatKing said:

and if you want a turbo.. might as well wait for the new liberty diesel if your swapping motors.. i mean.. i wouldn't really want to submerge a supra engine.. however.. a diesel is a whole other ball game :)

Actually, diesels are surprisingly difficult to waterproof. The US mmilitary spent big dollars waterproofing the 6.2 in the HMMV.

The only problem with MkIII headgaskets is the factory torquing of the bolts. They only torqued them to 58 goot pounds. I helped do a MkIII engine last year, installed ARP bolts and a new gasket and torqued to 83 foot pounds. 12 pounds of boost for a year now with no ill effects.

There are a mountain of parts available for Mk III's and IV's. They are much better supported by the aftermarket than the 4.0.

Plus, the cams are where they belong, up in the head. Gawd, I hate pushrods.

CRASH

WheatKing said:

I'm not sure, I know that the stock MKIV auto can handle up to about 450rwhp, but it can be sent off to BoostLogic for them to "upgrade" it and for $1800 you will have an auto that can handle anything.

I like diesels and you can get killer power from them with simple mods, but I don't think the KJ will be nearly as reliable as the 2JZ-GTE. I do LOVE the new Cumins in the 03+ dodge trucks.

Lexus AFM and an aftermarket turbo are my opinion of more than "lightly modded". But I guess it's all relative.

I think the IS300 use the 2JZ-GE engines.

Back