• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Re lift shackles and exhaust tip exit

CaptTrev

NAXJA Forum User
i posted a similiar question lst week and didnt get any responses...

basically--i have a borla exhaust and trailmaster lift and i have the RE 1.25" lift shackles ready to install (and /75" coil spacers in front) because i want a little bit more lift.

the problem: my borla exhaust tip exits VERY close underneith my leaf springs
(it comes back next to the gas tank and then makes a sharp turn towards the passenger side and then straight back--directly under the leaf springs.

can i see some pics of your rigs with either borla or other exhaust tips/systems installed with the RE shackles (or other extended length shackle)

i want to get the tip cut off and the exhaust pipe straightened so it will exit right next to the gas tank skid, out of the way of the leaf spring.

any pics/ideas? PLEASE?! :)

CaptTrev

Well, I don't have the Borla exhaust, mine's stock...but after I installed my extended shackles, the exhaust tailpipe was right up against the shackle. Whenever the engine was running it would rattle like crazy. What I did was take a torch and heated the chite out of the pipe where it meets the rearward hanger. Once it was hot enough I just bent the tail pipe about an inch away from the shackle.

This is the best pic I have, you can see how close the tip still is to the shackle, but it does not make contact at all.

009_7.jpg

Hope it helps...

Rock On!

Steve

Be careful just cutting the Z-bends off of the exhaust pipe, you'll melt the lower shackle bushing. The poly in mine started to ooze in less than 20 miles.

I also have the Borla, and as much as it pained me, I cut the Z-bends off, and put a cheap turn-down on the end.

You options are pretty much limited to:
Get a piece of angle
Heat what you have & bend out of the way
Cut it off or totally reroute it

How big is the tip on that thing? I answered in your other post but apparently you didn't like my response.

for the guys who responded to the first question-thanks! (sorry, last i checked, no one responded)

after seeing everyones pics and reading all the ideas, i think what i'll do is:

1) remove the entire length of tailpipe section

2) cut off tip with z-bend

3) try to find some new stainless exhaust tubing to weld up to the cut tube, and then weld the tip back on

so all in all it will be straight and just eliminate the z bend

BTW, IMO-(thats pretty stupid for borla to make an exhaust system for a truck thats so popular for lifting, that "isnt compatable" with a lift)

please let me know if this (seemingly simple) idea is a good idea or not

ALSO-is it OK to drive around with the tailpipe missing (exhaust will exit right out the back of the muffler)--only for a short while until i can get the pipe cut and welded, and reinstalled?

THANKS!!

CaptTrev

everyone else-more pics please if u got em!! :D

What part of the shackle hits the exhaust? I just ordered a .75" shackle from Rusty's and now I'm concerned it will hit the exhaust. Granted, you folks are using the 1.25" shackle so it might be different. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

pancake said:
What part of the shackle hits the exhaust? I just ordered a .75" shackle from Rusty's and now I'm concerned it will hit the exhaust. Granted, you folks are using the 1.25" shackle so it might be different. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Pancake-

you can see in ThePhantums pic--how the exhaust comes back straight and then bends towards (and underneith somewhat) the left part of the back right shackle.

its a real PITA with the OEM setup, and borla made it even worse :rolleyes:

Chuck D-

awesome pics---u gave me some good ideas

also-cool website--lotsa nice home brew, custom-fab stuff

trevor

I too have the Borla tip (square) and 2.5" tubing, and lift shackles. Mine also was going to hit. So I had the guys at Kooks Headers bend the exhaust under the leaf spring so that it exits to the right of the shackle when looking from behind. The exhasut is located in between the frame rail and leaf spring, even at full compression it wont hit the tube; its tucked up very tight.

XJguy

XJGuy-

I would REALLY like a pic of that---

thats something i never thought to do. . .

look for a PM ;)

thanks!

Trevor

Sorry it took so long but here are the pictures as promised. Believe it or not that rusty exhaust is stainless steel, some grades of stainless still rust up on the surface, nothing for me to worry about, rubs right off.

P1010065.JPG

P1010064.JPG

P1010063.JPG

XJguy

Back