• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tow hook placement

Jeff B

NAXJA Forum User
I've been hooking a tow strap to my hitch receiver, but that's become a pain and so today picked up a black tow hook. Now, the only question is where do I mount it on the back of my XJ? I'd like it on the left side if that's possible so the strap won't be near the exhaust if it breaks. If someone could send a picture or give me a detailed description of the best place, that would be great!

Thanks,
Jeff

Jeff B said:
I've been hooking a tow strap to my hitch receiver, but that's become a pain and so today picked up a black tow hook. Now, the only question is where do I mount it on the back of my XJ? I'd like it on the left side if that's possible so the strap won't be near the exhaust if it breaks. If someone could send a picture or give me a detailed description of the best place, that would be great!

Thanks,
Jeff

You need to get the bracketry from the dealer....sorry I don't have a better pic
1024.jpg

Were you just wrapping it around the receiver itself? It would be best to just get a ring that fits in the hitch itself and use that as an attachment point rather than installing a tow hook. If you're set on the hook, you need something to distribute the load to the unibody.

Hooking to the receiver hitch is the best place from the rear of the J. Either get a hook for the receiver or a strap that fits in there better and use the cross shaft with a clip to hold it in there. Using the receiver, distributes the loads the best back there.

mark

Like Tozovr said, you can buy the factory tow hook bracket (p/n 52000712) and install like below. Only problem in your case is that this bracket supposively won't work if you have a receiver hitch already installed...

Why not just purchase a tow hook that fits into your receiver hitch?

fa48073d.jpg

Here's a shot of the bracket and hook. When I looked into ordering one, they said it would not fit if a hitch was installed. Maybe you could drill some holes in the side of the hitch and bolt the bracket to that?

reartow.jpg

That's what I was referring to earlier. What is it called? I've heard it called a shackle before but that sounds confusing.

K9Cop said:
I just took the ball off my hitch and simply hooked a D-ring to it. Didn't see the need in purchasing a D-ring with a carrier to go in my receiver.

Yep that's the same setup I had on my last truck. It works great and is easy to hook up in the mud if you leave the strap attatched. However one little detail is to make sure that the D-ring doesn't flop around. The best way to cure this is to use washers to make sure it sits flat. I was told(by a crane operator) that by having the D-ring flopping around you drastically reduce the capicity of the D-ring.

Back