• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny cooler

lobsterdmb

Just a Lobster Minion
NAXJA Member
I am going to be installing a tranny cooler in line to help keep my transmission a little cooler. When I cut the current lines to add it in, should I flare the ends of them to hold the new rubber lines on? Will using 2 clamps work ok instead. I don't own a flaring tool and don't want to have to buy one just to do this. TIA

John

I never flared mine and never had any trouble.

actually, I had trouble with the original clip-on connectors. one of them blew off on me, I just cut/clamped it along side the road about a year and a half ago. no problems ;)

If you have a flare tool readily availiable, put a small bevel on the end of the hard line and slip the rubber one over, then use a hose clamp right after the little flare you put it, It really helps keep the line pressure from sliding the rubber off the smooth metal hard line, If you don't have a flare too, just double clamp the lines and you'll be just fine, I have run both ways and never had a problem, the little flare Just gave me a little more piece of mind.

Just curious...what will you be using to cut it? The line I mean...

How much is the flare tool btw?

pancake said:
Just curious...what will you be using to cut it? The line I mean...

How much is the flare tool btw?

I am going to use a small pipe cutter. flare tool is at least $30 if i mail order, $50 locally.

John

I want to put a cooler on mine in the Spring. Where do you guys typically put them, and what brands have worked well??

lobsterdmb said:
I am going to use a small pipe cutter. flare tool is at least $30 if i mail order, $50 locally.

John

If you have an AutoZone nearby go there and rent the flare tool. If no Autozone then try another auto parts store a lot of them rent tools(at least they do around here) and it's really great 'cause all you have to do is dish out the 50 bucks then you get it back when you bring it back.

Hayden makes quick connect adapters for $7.00 a pair I think. These would let you retain the stock lines without cutting if you want to. I put on the Oem cooler and replaced my original lines too because they were bent. The OEM cooler is kind of small though, and requires removal/reinstallation of the bumper to get it in. If I had it to do over, I think I would get a Hayden cooler.

Here is where I installed my juice cooler! :D

juicecooler.jpg

The fan runs anytime the motor does, but does have a cut off switch. I want to install a temp gauge to see how it does.

The radiator cooler is now gone!

mark

Mark Hinkley said:
Here is where I installed my juice cooler! :D

juicecooler.jpg

The fan runs anytime the motor does, but does have a cut off switch. I want to install a temp gauge to see how it does.

The radiator cooler is now gone!

mark

Any if debris hit those rubber lines??? OUCH! :wierd:

pancake said:
Any if debris hit those rubber lines??? OUCH! :wierd:
Yeah. I really like the clean mount job and the fan, reminds me of the under the tail oil coolers I see on race bikes, but I'd be worried about bashing it or having something bounce/fly up and hole it. Maybe it's not a big worry, but unlike a holed Rad which lets you know its leaking when the temp gauge climbs, a holed tranny cooler or popped line will just let you continue to drive until you've killed the darn thing. Maybe you could armor it somehow?

Back in my import days we always blew intercooler pipe couplers off of Intercooler pipes that did'nt have a bead on the end, we learned to wrap to pieced of tape around the pipe and leave a space for however thick bead and then put on strip of jb weld and then peel off the tape... No more rubber couplers coming off the piping. probably work on the tranny cooler lines.

Just my 2 cents

Lucas

Luke said:
Back in my import days we always blew intercooler pipe couplers off of Intercooler pipes that did'nt have a bead on the end, we learned to wrap to pieced of tape around the pipe and leave a space for however thick bead and then put on strip of jb weld and then peel off the tape... No more rubber couplers coming off the piping. probably work on the tranny cooler lines.

Just my 2 cents

Lucas

Oh yeah take the tape off when the jb weld is wet still for a clean bead... and so you can take off the tape... duh

I´ve put rubber lines on the stock steel, double hose clamps. I´ve used a slightly larger rubber, so it went over the ridge left from removing the stock connector and clamping above and below the ridge. I´ve soldered a copper ring (made from a piece of solid house wire) on the bare metal tube. A wad of wet newspaper between the tube end, to be soldered and anything that might be heat dmamged. helps. I´ve drilled out an aero quip fitting and soldered it onto the line. I´ve put a small flare at the end of the tube, that made it a little hard to get the line on, until I figured out, the outside edge of the flare was a little sharp and sanded it round. All have worked and lasted better than the stock connector.
I´ve had branches pop up and get hooked over the whole mess and bend everything to heck. But never had one come loose. Have had them rub through, over a long period, if I wasn´t careful, how a ran them (metal and rubber).
Same thing with the tranny cooler, I´m always carefull about how it ´s gonna rub. Usually, glue some kind of foam or soft rubber, around the edges (just in case). Wouldn´t it suck to have the tranny cooler rub through your A/C condensor or your radiator.

pancake said:
I'm confused...is this regarding my post? :wierd:

Yes.

You make a statement like the rubber hose use and location as a off the cuff BS and would like to hear why you think that way? Give some explanation to you view rather than just a BS statement.

mark

Don´t get defensive, we all know the space considerations, the marginal cooling of the radiator in the stock location. Nobody wants to put anything in front of the radiator they don´t have to.
Think Pancake was just thinking out loud. Looks like you did a nice clean job. Tucked it up someplace with a low probabilty, it will get messed up. If a branch or something flies up there, It will might mess with your cooler, or the fuel pump wireing and maybe the fuel lines also. I´ve put sticks through tires and radiators, breaking brush can really mess some stuff up.
Rubber lines flex, hard lines flatten, hard lines help with the cooling a bit.
The only real test, is the test of time, how long it lasts.
If you develope a slow leak and the tranny, has just enough oil, to make it work, kind of, it´s possible to damage it. If a line breaks and it comes gushing out, it just stops, doesn´t really hurt anything, but the earth it polutes.

Last edited:
Back