• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

95 xj w/ Dana 35 limited slip

d10shun

NAXJA Forum User
My girlfriend wants to buy me a locker for Christmas - amazing huh!? I found out that I have the limited slip rear end in my Dana 35C. Does anyone make a locker that can be installed WITHOUT removing the axels and gears? I want to install myself because I can't afford a pro install. I hear Powertrax makes a No-slip for this application. Has anyone tried it or is it a waste of money? Or should I have her get me a lockrite for the front and leave the limited slip as it is? Let me know soon because Christmas is coming up!

Don't spend money on the D35 at all. You should be able to find an 8.25 that is a direct bolt-in with the same gears you have in front for around $200 or less, or you can get a D44 for a little more. Then get a lunchbox locker (Aussie, LockRight, NoSlip, EZ Locker) and you should be able to put it in without re-doing the gears. Look at the Sale section here, on JU, and on Pirate4x4 for a while and you'll find some really good deals, might even find one with a locker in it for cheap.

Do not lock the D35 if you do not want to replace it yet. What size tires do you run? The D35 is weak but can live with 31's or smaller. However if I had it to go over again I would lock my front 30 and find a 8.25 or D44 for the rear.

I run 32" swampers. I do not have the technical skills or welding skills needed for a axle swap. I can barely change my oil but I am getting there. Will adding a lockrite up front affect steering on/off the street? I need my xj to be able to climb the slippery rock/dirt of steep AZ hills.

d10shun said:
I run 32" swampers. I do not have the technical skills or welding skills needed for a axle swap. I can barely change my oil but I am getting there. Will adding a lockrite up front affect steering on/off the street? I need my xj to be able to climb the slippery rock/dirt of steep AZ hills.

Hey what part of AZ do you live in I would be glad to help you out if you need it.

I live in Tempe. My new favorite place is Florence Junct! Where are you at?

d10shun said:
I live in Tempe. My new favorite place is Florence Junct! Where are you at?

I am in east mesa if you need help doing anything to your rig I would be glad to help

d10shun said:

If you decide to go front, it won't affect your steering while in 2wd on the street, but it will affect it off-road, but it's not bad and the added traction is great. A lunchbox in a D30 up front will require the carrier to be removed from the ring gear on most gear sets (3.07's you can get away without removing it I think).

Assuming the gears are of the same ratio...the axle swap would take ~4 hours to complete. Just a few bolts. :scottm:

My friend has a complete 35 for sale w/ 4.56's and a full detroit for the same price as a No-slip!

Last edited:
if you can barely change your oil i wouldn't try to tackle putting in a locker, not anything against you, just my .02

This is a tough one. IMO I can't see locking a D30. Personally I'd rather try going for D44's fore and after, rather than dump a lot of money into a D30. In the end, your still going to have a D30. I'm currently in the same boat. Trying to decide.

BTW.......A 31" tire max is debatable. You see D35/D30's all the time running 33"s and 35"s on 27 splines (hopefully regeared atleast). I'm currently running D35 track loc/ D30 open with 33" Swampers and 4:56's. The 27 spline axels are definatly my weakest link.

Perhaps it comes down to the driver, line selection, knowing your equipment, but most importantly knowing when pass on certain sections???

I'm running 31" MT/R and a No-Slip in the rear D35. Totally happy with it, I just love the No-Slip. I'm careful on the throttle off road, but I like to lay it sideways through roundabouts on dry pavement, the No-Slip is excellent for that :laugh3: But I'm unsure if the No-Slip is available for a track-lock casing though, you have to make sure you get that one (if it exists).

I have a loc-rite in the D30 and the factory limited slip in the D35. I run 32's and drive trails rated 4 - 4 1/2+. I take it easy on the skinny pedal but try to stick to all the hard lines and I have not broke a axle yet. I to love the fj area. My dad is runnng the powertrax no slip in his tj with 33's and it works great for him. If I were you I would put a loc-rite in the D30, I like having the extra pull in the front and it seems to really help out alot on the waterfalls.
James

I called Powertrax today and they said their No-slip can be installed in axles with a limited-slip. No pro install is necessary. I think I am going to go with As for a new axles, I need to worry about my about my cracked header and oil filter o-ring leaks first. Thanks

I just installed a lockrite in my dana35 c-clip was easy but I recommend having someone who knows what they are doing with you(like I did). If you're gunna install a locker you will always need to pull the axles and remove the spider gears. The locker replaces the spider gears. With a lockrite you dont have to remove the ring gear so that makes it easier. Some people dont have time, money, equipment to go to bigger axles I feel your pain. You should be ok running 32s and a locker just be easy on the gas I know a few people running 32s on a locked dana35 and they've been fine.

Çrestfa||en said:
I just installed a lockrite in my dana35 c-clip was easy but I recommend having someone who knows what they are doing with you(like I did). If you're gunna install a locker you will always need to pull the axles and remove the spider gears. The locker replaces the spider gears. With a lockrite you dont have to remove the ring gear so that makes it easier. Some people dont have time, money, equipment to go to bigger axles I feel your pain. You should be ok running 32s and a locker just be easy on the gas I know a few people running 32s on a locked dana35 and they've been fine.

I would be scared with a lockrite in a d35. I had one in both of toyotas and on the street they would pop really bad every once in awhile. It didn't do it all the time, but when it did it was bad. I bet if it popped that bad in a d35 it would snap a axle. When I upgrade my d35 I'm going to get the powertrax no slip. My dad has ran that for a year now and hasn't had any problems.

How do you figure the popping sound would break an axle? I've been running my lockrite for near a month now, it pops everyonce in a while but only during rare circumstances. I only get the loud pop when I've got torque on the system forcing the plates into the locked posistion, then suddenly pulling a corner still on the gas(which is stupid to do) and the forces slam the locker out of engagement so it can differentiate. I even ran the lockrite with the wrong springs(place I got it from screwed up) and I didn't break an axle. Now I run in fulltime all the time splitting the torque up lets the lockrite in differentiate more on the street. I am easy on the gas and knowledgable the I have a locker.

We're buying the no-slip on Saturday from Desert Rat. I will let you know how the install goes and maybe take some pics.
Ben

Just a thought here, put the locker in the front and you'll be locked in front with LS in the rear! That's better than just locked in the back assuming the clutch pack is still good on the LS (it does have clutches right?).

Back