• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Buyin' an XJ

Skitzo

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all -

i'm buying a '91 laredo. it has some front end damage from the guy hitting a deer.

a few ?'s though:

how can i tell if the uniframe is bent?

what's the best radiator for an xj?

where can i get an fsm?

tia!

Although it is unlikely that hitting a deer would bend the uniframe, if there is any question -- you can't tell. You'll need to take it to a qualified body shop and have them put it on a frame jig to check a bunch of critical measurements that factory body manuals provide.

The OEM heavy duty radiators were Modines, and a few folks seem to favor those as replacements. Most prefer a 3-row GDI, which is available on a special deal from 1-800-RADIATOR for $100.

FSMs show up on e-Bay from time to time, or you can buy them directly from the DaimlerChrysler publications fulfillment house (Dyment). They have an 800 number, which I don't have at the moment so hopefully someone will chime in with it.

thanks eagle.

i found a 3 core radiator w/lifetime warranty for $129 from carradiator.com. btw, their part's lookup is really cool.

found an fsm to download for an 88xj - how much difference is there between an 88 and 91?

Dang, that site is expensive. Pretty sure I paid about $70 for my 94 FSM shipped last fall.
-Tom

ON the frame, the front bumper mounts on the XJ are not flimsy, but not super strong either. Look there first and see of they are bent in any way.

Re: FSM --

1988 is one of the Renix (non-HO) years. '91 was the first year of the HO engine, injection and computer. Most of the mechanical stuff will be about the same, but the electics, electronics, and injection will be totally different.

Skitzo said:
so, if the front bumper mounts are bent...what does that tell me?

That it's time to have the unibody checked for straightness.

Back