• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hot Floorboard!

XJWheelie

NAXJA Forum User
When I decided to pull up the carpet and Herculline the whole thing I discovered a spot under the carpet where the blanket had burned a bit. Not too long ago I had a clogged catalytic converter that was putting off a lot of heat in the front passenger side, so I replaced it with a Random Technology converter and while I was at it I put a Flowmaster catback on it. When I pulled up the carpet I figured that the old exhaust system had been the cause of the problem in the back, but it's still hot back there.

The heat is located where the driveline tunnel meets the back seat support on the passenger side, just above the center of the muffler. I've got Dynamat Extreme under the Herculiner, but it's hot enough that I would have to force myself to hold my hand there and I might get burnt doing so. Does anyone have a cure for this??? I'm thinking about some kind of heat blanket either under the Jeep between the muffler and floor or maybe on top of the Herculiner. I don't think that it'll hurt anything, but if someone ever does sit back there they'll get a bad case of hot foot, not to mention damage to a cooler or melted food.

Do you have any pictures or could you go into more detail? I don't want to wind up with something that'll just catch mud and cause my muffler to rust out

No pictures. Just get a peice of sheet metal, the stuff they use for HVAC ducting works well. Attach it to the Jeep, not the muffler, over the muffler allowing some space for air flow above and below. I screwed mine into the "frame" and the floor, alowing about 1/4" of space between the floor and the shield.

Rev

I had the same problem when I put on my flowmaster and ended up buying the heat shield that flowmaster sells for their mufflers and it solved the problem.

Jeff

o/t a little, but I actually have a HUGE dent to the pass rear floorboard on my '99 from the Flowmaster smashing up into it LOL!!

The muffler is fine too:) Good testament to build quality!

i figured with all the mods you have RJ there must be an exhaust skid plate under there too.... :wave:
anyhoo. back to the topic at hand.. any shiny aluminum or sheet metal riveted to the floor will reflect alot of heat away.. space it off the floor with some aluminum 1/4" flat stock...
mike

I installed a factory heatshield from a 97-up? XJ a few years back to keep my floor cool. As I recall, it was only about $20.00 and was simple to install with some stubby, chubby, sheet metal screws. It's contoured for the XJ floor pan.

A simple fix that will prevent a car-BQ.........got yours today while supplies last, your mileage may vary, 4 of 5 dentists agree.....

Back